69 Sport Fury Front brakes

Plym69

Reaction score
HI to All

I would need some advice from experts. I have a 69 Sport Fury 383 2V with 11'' x 3'' front drums and booster. They are powerfull and good brakes but it seems that the front drums were destroyed in machining shop. They were send to there because the brakes rattled a lot. Now they rattle even more after machining and it seems that now the inner diameter is so big that they can't be machined anymore. So I need to start to think discbrake conversion.
What would be easiest and cheapest way ? Is there any kit that would bolt on directly but wouldn't cost a fortune ?

Thanks in advance

HI to All

I would need some advice from experts. I have a 69 Sport Fury 383 2V with 11'' x 3'' front drums and booster. They are powerfull and good brakes but it seems that the front drums were destroyed in machining shop. They were send to there because the brakes rattled a lot. Now they rattle even more after machining and it seems that now the inner diameter is so big that they can't be machined anymore. So I need to start to think discbrake conversion.
What would be easiest and cheapest way ? Is there any kit that would bolt on directly but wouldn't cost a fortune ?

Thanks in advance
The 3" drums are still available, you would have to do some searching to find them. If you were satisfied with the drums, keeping them is the simplest option. And for heaven's sake, find a more competent machine shop.

The other option is to find front disk spindles from a '69-'73 Fury or Polara. Rotors are available but the supply of single piston calipers has been spotty. Your best bet would be to find a donor car that has all the disc parts. You will need the rotor assemblies and wheel bearings, disc calipers, spindles and new hoses, master cylinder and pads. The system should also be upgraded to the Bendix dual diaphragm booster which was generally standard with disc brakes. The correct booster for your application fits from '68-'70. The later booster has too large a diameter to fit your vehicle. The '73 spindle uses a different rotor than the '69-'72 models due to a larger inner bearing for '73. Using factory parts is the best disc conversion.

I personally do not use the aftermarket disc conversions when upgrading to discs. The booster on those kits is a ChiCom reproduction unit of suspect quality as are many of the other components. Most of the conversion kits also have a smaller diameter booster than what the factory used on C-Bodies.

Dave

Craig @mobileparts will have new 3" drums. The factory disc conversion described above is THE SINGLE BEST SAFETY IMPROVEMENT you can do to your car, and is easy, factory engineered and really great! I can provide information through easy to read documents if needed.

Brakes "rattle"??? Please elaborate . . . .

It's not uncommon to machine rotors to discover the end result is that they are at the top end of their inner diameter spec (usually stamped into the outer surface of the drum). That is the "max size spec" for safe use. At that size, the linings should still be able to be adjusted and work as designed.

The possibly best way to adjust drum brakes is with an "inside/outside caliper" for adjusting drum brakes. Set the drum-side of the caliper to the inside diameter of the drum, then with that locked-in, adjust the brake shoes to match the corresponding setting on the brake shoe side of the caliper. Install the drum on the wheel studs and check for "dragging". This is the initial setting. The final setting will happen with use as the self-adjusters do the final settings.

I strongly concur, fixing what you have is the best way to do things, especially where you're located, FWIW. The best way to do a factory-part front disc brake conversion is with a complete donor vehicle in the stall beside the drum brake car being converted. Many little things other than just the spindles/rotors to be swapped! Past that, there's the aftermarket, plus having to rely on THEM for parts in the future. BTAIM.

Just some thoughts,
CBODY67

Back