70 and 71 fury doors.. i have never looked closely.. are they the same?

ph23vo

Reaction score
you would think i would know this..but i have not seriously looked and compared 70-71 doors has anyone here had 2 side by side to say? i need a pass door for the 71 GT promo obv..every car i have now is a 70 [only had1 71 2 dr ever though] and it was rusted out.. anyone?

Answer your question with a question, are the mirror bases the same for both years. It sticks in my mind that 70 mirrors were one year only. I do know that a SF ventless 2dr car front passenger door is a perfect match for a convertible vented door. All the vent hard transfers ok.

The '70 and '71 doors interchange. Most of the '70 doors that had chrome trim have holes in the skin for the mounting grommets, the '71 doors have metal studs that the mounting grommets hook to. If memory serves me correctly, the some of the early production '71 doors still had mounting holes, but I could be wrong on that.

Dave

Answer your question with a question, are the mirror bases the same for both years. It sticks in my mind that 70 mirrors were one year only. I do know that a SF ventless 2dr car front passenger door is a perfect match for a convertible vented door. All the vent hard transfers ok.

While I cant answer on a 2dr this is interesting to me as my parts wagon is a 70 Sport Suburban and my project is a 71 Sport Suburban. The 70 wagon has vent windows and the 71 does not. Now I wonder if the shell is the same and you can swap the vent system and windows if need be? I do know that on the wagons the mirrors are different and mount in completely different spots on the doors.

While I cant answer on a 2dr this is interesting to me as my parts wagon is a 70 Sport Suburban and my project is a 71 Sport Suburban. The 70 wagon has vent windows and the 71 does not. Now I wonder if the shell is the same and you can swap the vent system and windows if need be? I do know that on the wagons the mirrors are different and mount in completely different spots on the doors.

The vent windows were omitted on most of the 2dr cars with A/C. My recollection is that the basic door frames are the same so you should be able to transfer the vent wing, window and tracks from one to the other as long as they are both 2dr HT cars. You could run into problems with the mirrors as I think the remote and standard mirrors use a different mounting system.

Dave

Last edited:
On my 71 Polara wildcat supplied me with a door from a 69 Polara AC car. The inner bracing is slightly different for the use of vent windows. The 71 has less bracing because I dont think there were vent windows offered on 71-73 2drs regardless of AC or non AC.

I remember a body man telling me that similar body style but different years runs would vary as the stamping dies would wear out and be changed thus slight difference would mean more work for him to fit.

Ever see the Fathomworks guys grinding a door edge 'cuz someone was real fussy about 'Gaps'?

Back