'71 Sport Fury

stick to basics to start...l wouldn't even bother with headers..they leak ect ect and your car dosnt need yet...basics to start..if you must go to HP manifolds

With your 75k (++?) mile cam and heads? You'll be lucky if you don't lose horsepower.

stick to basics to start...l wouldn't even bother with headers..they leak ect ect and your car dosnt need yet...basics to start..if you must go to HP manifolds
Alright thanks guys, I'll just put the money towards new fenders or a new carb and intake

I'm thinking of picking up a low-rise edelbrock intake, with a 4bbl edelbrock carb, My dad really likes the edelbrock he has on his GTO, and my holly carb on my Fury has been a little less than impressive. I guess I should come down on it that hard though, it is over 40 years old.

Anyhow you guys think I should go with the mechanical choke or the electric? are the electric ones hard to set up?
I'm looking at these two
Edelbrock 1406K, Edelbrock Performer Carburetors | Edelbrock
Edelbrock 2176K, Edelbrock Performer Manifolds for Chrysler | Edelbrock

Thanks to my tax return I got a couple grand to play with that I wasn't expecting to have.

Go with the 1406 electric choke.

You'll also need a carb linkage adapter 1481.

edl-1481.jpg

l remember asking about the intake on my 440...someone said edelbrock basicly copyed the 4bbl intake for mopar for the most part..don't underrate and rule out a oem intake ...possibly save some coin....

bet that 75k mi. is original. with 2g's to spend you should invest in a nice dual exh off the manifolds. headers can easily be spliced into the front pipes in the future if you decide to go that route. intake should be single plane straight runner. add a cam in the future and you'll have a nice package done in steps SG

or he can use the money on things that are broken or worn out...
True, the exhuast and carb are pretty worn out though. Other then the interior which is only really bad in the front seats though there isn't a whole lot I can do right now. I was thinking about asking my uncle to fix that bit of my roof where the vinyl roof was though.
Then I'm gonna sand it down and maybe clear coat it. It has a lot of surface rust.

I might actually need a new a new set of exhuast headers now that I got to thinking, the old headers have that weird hot air snorkel thing that leads into the air cleaner. Could I safely cap it off somehow or is it okay to leave open or something?

l remember asking about the intake on my 440...someone said edelbrock basicly copyed the 4bbl intake for mopar for the most part..don't underrate and rule out a oem intake ...possibly save some coin....
Really? Huh. Well I'd definitely consider the OEM stuff if I can locate it

I might actually need a new a new set of exhuast headers now that I got to thinking, the old headers have that weird hot air snorkel thing that leads into the air cleaner. Could I safely cap it off somehow or is it okay to leave open or something?

That stove pipe your talking about is for a thermostatic air cleaner. It doesn't move exhaust gas, just warms air over the top of the stock manifolds. Since your in a cold climate, I wouldn't delete it, it helps cold weather operation.

FWIW I would Not change the factory manifolds, any exhaust shop can make you duals that hook right up to them... Headers will be more troubles and expense and unlikely to make a noticeable performance difference on your stock engine. Debatable how much change on a modified engine even. Stock, functioning air cleaner will draw air in cold conditions across a heat shield on the manifold, warms the air so the fuel doesn't condense back to liquid and fail to burn/run right when temps are chilly.

You should post a picture of the manifolds you have. I changed mine be a use I was given a pair of HP manifolds that came off a 71 sport fury. You might have the good stuff already.
My .02 is put your money into other stuff before the headers. Once you buy the headers it is a forever decision. You will not likely keep them forever and never get the money back.

That stove pipe your talking about is for a thermostatic air cleaner. It doesn't move exhaust gas, just warms air over the top of the stock manifolds. Since your in a cold climate, I wouldn't delete it, it helps cold weather operation.

FWIW I would Not change the factory manifolds, any exhaust shop can make you duals that hook right up to them... Headers will be more troubles and expense and unlikely to make a noticeable performance difference on your stock engine. Debatable how much change on a modified engine even. Stock, functioning air cleaner will draw air in cold conditions across a heat shield on the manifold, warms the air so the fuel doesn't condense back to liquid and fail to burn/run right when temps are chilly.
Yeah I figured that out last night, I guess I probably won't be changing the manifolds then.
You saying I should keep the stock air cleaner box? I think I actually need a new one though, the back of the box was cut open to accommodate an aftermarket cruise control that I almost immediately got rid of. Now the hole where they cut into the box is covered in electrical tape. If I could locate an air cleaner box that is close to stock and fit the new carb I'd definitely go that route though.

You should post a picture of the manifolds you have. I changed mine be a use I was given a pair of HP manifolds that came off a 71 sport fury. You might have the good stuff already.
My .02 is put your money into other stuff before the headers. Once you buy the headers it is a forever decision. You will not likely keep them forever and never get the money back.
I'll get you guys a picture of the engine first thing when I get home. I'll hold off on the headers and the exhaust manifold I think. You guys are right, no reason to spend anything on that right now.

Back