WANTED 8-3/4" 2.76 Sure-Grip - 489 case

Status
Not open for further replies.
I want to add sure grip, plus need to get/build a plug n' play diff car as the car is my daily driver. The swap has to happen in a day, down time not an option.
I got more 489 cases in. Not sure of the gears and whether its a sure grips. The pics you have of mine I pulled it myself on running 71 NY and been under tarps since. No water in the case

I got more 489 cases in. Not sure of the gears and whether its a sure grips. The pics you have of mine I pulled it myself on running 71 NY and been under tarps since. No water in the case

Thanks, you have any photos of the new cases you got in?
I still remember the one from last year. I thought it was just too big of a risk to take especially with the cost of shipping. Since it's still installed in the axle housing there's no telling the real condition of the gears, bearings, etc. I could be buying a paper weight. Yes, you said it was good but how do you know for sure?

Posi? Angel there's strangers in the house!

Corbis-JS1565418.jpg

Thanks, you have any photos of the new cases you got in?
I still remember the one from last year. I thought it was just too big of a risk to take especially with the cost of shipping. Since it's still installed in the axle housing there's no telling the real condition of the gears, bearings, etc. I could be buying a paper weight. Yes, you said it was good but how do you know for sure?
Unless you want to pull it apart and look at it or set up dial indicator. Check that way

Wizard -
They are removed from the rear axle housing? If so it is easy to ID for gear ratio and sure-grip.
I might be in the market as I will be installing my spare SG unit soon and I want a backup. (73Coupe has 1st right of refusal, of course)
List what you now have on-hand?

Wizard -
They are removed from the rear axle housing? If so it is easy to ID for gear ratio and sure-grip.
I might be in the market as I will be installing my spare SG unit soon and I want a backup. (73Coupe has 1st right of refusal, of course)
List what you now have on-hand?
I have a few out of housing right now. Getting more in about 2 weeks or so.

For $750 and still needs new clutch discs in it, that seller's gonna be waiting for someone absolutely fixated to have a 2.94.

It’s the perfect gear ratio imo but this guy is at least $250 high.

Found this on face book

"$200 in bearings 'invested' in it."
He needs to find a new supplier. Bet'cha he paid retail and not 'jobber' price, the 'invested' leads me to believe he's a desk jockey.

and

"pinion seal installed which cost around $40.00"
Heck for what 2/3 hammer taps? I'd charged ya $20 and yes I know what a crush sleeve is!

:soapbox:

They need a bath in mineral spirits to start with.

Did 742s ever came with 2:76 gears?
Ive personally never seen a set, except for in 8.25s an 9.25...but ive only had probably 75 or so 8 3/4 sure grips ive sold over the years....ranging from 2.94 to 3.91

They need a bath in mineral spirits to start with.

Did 742s ever came with 2:76 gears?
I have a 742 with a 2.76.
I'm thinking that 2.76 and 3.23 were the 2 most common gears back in the day. 2.94 seems to be most likely found under an Imperial.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back