For Sale A12

Status
Not open for further replies.
A12 refers to a package. Part of it was putting the 440+6 in it.

Fender Tag shows E63 (for the 383) though. But Tag hast the A12 code on it.

The VIN on the dashboard is special and has an "M" instead of the "H" for the regulary 383 HP

Where all 69 RR's built with the 6BBL the A-12 with the lift off hood? I assume that the A-12 is the code for the package with the lift off hood and 6BBL. I didn't know if any were made with steel hoods.

I read a story once in Car Craft by Ro Mcgonegal about a 69 RR 6BBL that they were drag testing and doing a article on for a drag publication don't remember if it said it was late 68 or early 69. They parked at the hotel for the night and when they got up to go to the track the throttle pedal was on the floor, when they lifted off the hood the carbs or the carbs and intake where gone. I can't remember for sure. A call to Plymouth and three engineers with parts showed up to repair the car and went to the track for testing. If I remember right the car was a test ringer given to mag's for testing.

They did that test at my home track in Cecil County Dragway, Maryland. I can't find the dang article. I believe it was in Car Craft or Hot Rod magazine. It use to be on the Cecil County Dragway website as a badge of honor. Now the website has been twitterized or twaterized as I see it and I can't find it now.

The prices of Mopar Super Cars remain depressed. A12's have been having a difficult time exceeding $70k.

A12 refers to a package. Part of it was putting the 440+6 in it.

Fender Tag shows E63 (for the 383) though. But Tag hast the A12 code on it.

The VIN on the dashboard is special and has an "M" instead of the "H" for the regulary 383 HP
E63 + A12 = M

Any code that has an "A" in front is a group code, A01=light package, A04=basic radio group, A12=engine conversion package. ETC.

[QUOTE="fc7_plumcrazy,
The VIN on the dashboard is special and has an "M" instead of the "H" for the regulary 383 HP[/QUOTE]

Correct. "M"= special order V8. The 69 440 Cuda's and Darts also carried the "M" engine code in the VIN. There were a hand full of very early A12 runners and super bee's that have the "H" (383) code in the Vin. But all have the A12 on the data tag.

[QUOTE="fc7_plumcrazy,

Correct. "M"= special order V8. The 69 440 Cuda's and Darts also carried the "M" engine code in the VIN. There were a hand full of very early A12 runners and super bee's that have the "H" (383) code in the Vin. But all have the A12 on the data tag.[/QUOTE]

Will, some of the earliest A12 cars with the 329 SPD do not code A12.

We were just discussing this RR Vert this morning. This guy is a friend of my shop foreman. Can't see the reasoning behind his asking price other than that is what it's insured for. Is this a rare car Will? Or is he just :realcrazy:

69 RR verts are one of the most common B body verts with production around 2,100 units. They are not really that hard to find compared to other verts. That is a really ambitious price even in CA dollars.

There were more 69 RR verts made in one year than there were R/T verts in four.

Correct. "M"= special order V8. The 69 440 Cuda's and Darts also carried the "M" engine code in the VIN. There were a hand full of very early A12 runners and super bee's that have the "H" (383) code in the Vin. But all have the A12 on the data tag.

Will, some of the earliest A12 cars with the 329 SPD do not code A12.[/QUOTE]

That's interesting Doug. Do you know of any that were sold to the public.....?

Will, some of the earliest A12 cars with the 329 SPD do not code A12.

That's interesting Doug. Do you know of any that were sold to the public.....?[/QUOTE]
I would presume most were.

It's not unheard of for coding to change during production. Not all M code Darts or Barracudas code A13 on the tag. The early 70 A12 Hurst cars do not show A12 on the tags.

1969 DODGE SUPER BEE 2 DOOR COUPE - 161518- Barrett-Jackson Auction Company - World's Greatest Collector Car Auctions

Sold $66,000.00

161518_Front_3-4_Web.jpg

I do not know that specific car. Matching numbers? Original or aftermarket A12 specific items (hood, intake, carb, wheels)? Original or remade tag? Amount and quality of documentation? Transmission conversion? Quality of overall restoration?

I looked at an A12 car listed for 30k. Four speed and V2. Needed work but a good price. I was willing to buy it. Further investigation determined it was a known rebody. Are there A12 out there for less than 70k? Sure. I know of a desireable project in the 60k range but it needs some work. But I stand by my original statement.

Last edited:
It's too bad, but my guess is they've all been messed with one way or another. It would take a real expert to not be scammed, some how I think you are up go the task.
:thumbsup:

It's too bad, but my guess is they've all been messed with one way or another. It would take a real expert to not be scammed, some how I think you are up go the task.
:thumbsup:
Ever see them in action over on Moparts when these 1 of xx come up for sale?
You better have the correct finish on your muffler bearings.
I'd trust Bob Rhinehart for A's and Scott Harm for B's anyday.

Ever see them in action over on Moparts when these 1 of xx come up for sale?
You better have the correct finish on your muffler bearings.
I'd trust Bob Rhinehart for A's and Scott Harm for B's anyday.
And that's why I'll stick to the simplicity and purity of the C body.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back