Electric furyland!

furyus 67

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure I have a ground issue but I am no expert, so I figured I'd toss this one by you guys. I've got power to my ign switch but will not start car. I can jump the solenoid and get it to engage the starter. Ive tested the yellow wire that goes to the solenoid while having someone turn the key and I get no power. I also have no headlights,tail lights brake lights,dome lights. But I do have a horn(yay). Also for some reason my dome light switches on the doors will activate the voltage meter as if I've turned to the on position. I'm scratching my head on this one.

Sounds like you are not getting power into the car.
The horn button is the ground not the power as are the door switches.

I'd check the fusible link to see if it is passing power, unplug the bulkhead connector and check power there.

If you have power there, plug it back in and see if you can get to the back of the amp gauge and the ignition switch plug.

Start following the circuit through.
Make some copies of the wiring diagram and trace the circuit on it with a marker, one circuit per copy.
I did the full series of these for my truck, here is the ignition and starter ones for it...
70wire-Ignition.png

70wire-Starter.png

Once you have a diagram just start at the battery and follow the power, not difficult once you have a clear picture.

Alan

That is a good idea!! Thanks Alan! I was hoping it may be a common issue. I do know I am getting power @ the switch bit no where else. I guess it's off the the wire chases! But 1st I need to put on some CCR!

That is a good idea!! Thanks Alan! I was hoping it may be a common issue. I do know I am getting power @ the switch bit no where else. I guess it's off the the wire chases! But 1st I need to put on some CCR!

Switch could be bad, turn the key to the run position and check the ballast and the accessory buss on the fuse block (like the radio fuse).

Alan

Correct me if I'm wrong, I should be reading power from the wire (yellow) that runs from the ignition to the solenoid when the key is turned the start position.

Solenoid (down on the starter) or starter relay (on the firewall)?

Correct me if I'm wrong, I should be reading power from the wire (yellow) that runs from the ignition to the solenoid when the key is turned the start position.

Correct, just trying to see what is and isn't working, still looking at the ignition switch.

Solenoid (down on the starter) or starter relay (on the firewall)?

Not likely the starter or the solenoid (on starter) as he was able to jump the relay.

The issue I have is no lights, that doesn't go through the ignition switch.

The only common point is the splice between the bulkhead and the ignition switch.
I don't have a 67 Fury diagram in front of me so I can't comment too much.

Was this working recently?

Alan

Yea, it was working when I pulled the 318 out. The only thing I've done wiring wise, is out in a triple set of gauges in it. I ran those lights from the cluster lights and just plugged the factory voltage gauge wires into the new gauge.

Well I managed to get my lights working and I figured out the P/O HACKED THE HELL outta this wiring under the dash! Still have no ignition tho.....

Yea Alan it's there.I've also figured out the p/o ran his own wires to the neutral safety switch. I think I'm having multiple issues. There is no battery feed going to the fuse box. It looks like he's bypassed the fuse box with in line fuses. It's a mess...:rant:

Well I got a couple things figured out. I figured out the p/o is retarted! Or lazy or both! I found 2 pink wires and a red battery lead running to a switch under the dash. The only thing this switch controlled is the dome lights. The battery lead runs to my ignitio, one pink is for the headlights and the other for the dome. After removing 9 miles of cheap electrical tape I discovered he spliced in 3 black wires to finish the 3 prong neutral safety switch. Good job I say! Grrr.....just grrrr!!

Last edited:
if it's the same setup as a 1969 then the power goes from the one side of the fuse box through the large red wire to the ammeter,and from the ammeter to the ignition switch. out of the ignition switch through a large black wire to the other side of the fuse box. the red wire is always live. it sounds like someone poked around looking for a power feed for the lights and cut the power to either the ammeter or ignition switch.

generally the pink and orange wires are for the interior lights and the yellow are ground for the door switches,glove box light etc.

I'm going to rebuild the harness this winter. I can't stand it when things aren't right. I've got a few rolls of wire. If I buy one a week I should be able to cover it! Does anybody know if a company that builds new harness's

Back