fuselage weatherstripping & window felts

Yikes. That sucks. I made sure I was clear that I had a formal roof on mine. Mainly because all they had listed was a sport roof. I haven't checked mine, which I should have. Car is at paint now so I'll have to wait.

I was told that I can cut it down and remove the clips. Then pop rivet them on.
That looks like it will work.
Good luck with yours.

Good luck with yours.

Did Restoration Specialties tell you that? I would be really surprised if they did. From dealing with them, they seem to want to do things right and I would have expected them to ask for one of your old ones so they could correct or add to their listing.

No.
It was a friend who built a 66 coronet. They look great. I bought these two years ago so I figured they wouldn't do anything for me anyway. It's only now that the car is painted that I found they don't fit. My fault, I should have checked them.

Did Restoration Specialties tell you that? I would be really surprised if they did. From dealing with them, they seem to want to do things right and I would have expected them to ask for one of your old ones so they could correct or add to their listing.
Early on Year One was selling the B-Body roof rail seal for the A-Body Barracuda Fastback and were told you'd need to cut it down, I'm not surprised with Restoration Specialties doing the same.

Alan

Early on Year One was selling the B-Body roof rail seal for the A-Body Barracuda Fastback and were told you'd need to cut it down, I'm not surprised with Restoration Specialties doing the same.

Alan
Read the post above. He didn't check with Restoration Specialties.

The huge difference here is Restoration Specialties is making these. Having dealt with the guys that actually cut the stuff, they really struck me as wanting to sell you the right pieces for your car and wanting feedback so they know what fits going forward.

Year One is just selling what they have.

Read the post above. He didn't check with Restoration Specialties.

The huge difference here is Restoration Specialties is making these. Having dealt with the guys that actually cut the stuff, they really struck me as wanting to sell you the right pieces for your car and wanting feedback so they know what fits going forward.

Year One is just selling what they have.
I did read it, my point was more that at this point that is the option, Year One now sells a correct roof rail seal for the Barracuda but at that time that was all the manufactures of the seals were offering, essentially the same thing.

Alan

If I have to end up cutting mine, they're going back to Restoration Specialties before I ever do that. For $140, I want them done right.

I did read it, my point was more that at this point that is the option, Year One now sells a correct roof rail seal for the Barracuda but at that time that was all the manufactures of the seals were offering, essentially the same thing.

Alan
I think we are trying to make separate points.

I agree that it can be cut down and it's not exactly rocket surgery. I also agree that we all have to be willing to make some field modifications to make things work. I've bought stuff for my car that was listed for B or E bodies only and had it either fit perfectly or fit with minor mods.

My point is that, given the correct input, I think RS will try to do it right.

We're on the same page. :thumbsup:

Good luck with yours.

I pop rivited the inner whiskers on also. I touched up the s.s rivit heads with a black sharpee. Can't even see them. They were originally mounted with heavy duty staples.

A friend of mine bought them new via Murray Park (cbodies.com). I don't know where he gets them but they were great in terms of quality!

How's your car going? Long time without updates - regards from Australia.

Time is flying :O It's almost 4 weeks since the last update, you're right! Unfortunately, it was pretty cold again in germany in the past few weeks. Around 0°C. But now, the thermometer is climbing again and I will continue stripping the underside of the body!

Good post about the Herb's parts. Haven't heard of them before. They seem to have a lot of stuff, but dang, for my year, only catwhiskers for a 4-door-HT not a 2-door-HT!!
I'd contact them anyway. Herb's source might be able to us your old ones as guides to make what you need for your 2door. I've done that with a supplier to Year One for that stuff up in Akron on my '61 4 DHT. Lost that contact when I sold the Batwagon tho'! Sorry, Jer

Like Rapidtrans I cut mine and pop riveted them on. The rivets even fitted in the original slots for the clips in the body. I painted the heads black and they look great so no worries here now.

UPDATE: Installed my front Restoration Specialties felts and they fit perfect. Hopefully the backs fit as well. Haven't gotten there yet. Having window mechanism issues.

OK, next up, I'm having a hell of a time reinstalling my door weatherstrip. While the rubber is not hard per se, it has been re-formed into odd shapes in places over the years due to poor seating in the channel. I'm having a heck of a time getting it to fit in properly to where I can close my door with the window all the way up. Might be time to replace. I see SoffSeal has some (apparently) for our cars. Has anyone used them? Or have any other recommendations?

OK, so my rear felts are/were complete junk. The clips were inserted in the wrong location. When you remove the clips from the felts and try and reinsert them, they simply will not stay in place in the felt. So I now need to contact them and see what they can do. The fact the clips are so easy to remove from the felts in the first place is not a good sign for longevity.

FYI/Update: I returned my rear felts to Restoration Specialties, explaining that their clips were nowhere near the correct location. With them, i sent my original rear felts. Within 2 weeks, they sent me a new set. This time, they didn't use the crappy semi-removable clips, but actually the OEM style clips, so they fit perfect and look original. In any event, thought you might like to know.

UPDATE: Installed my front Restoration Specialties felts and they fit perfect. Hopefully the backs fit as well. Haven't gotten there yet. Having window mechanism issues.

OK, next up, I'm having a hell of a time reinstalling my door weatherstrip. While the rubber is not hard per se, it has been re-formed into odd shapes in places over the years due to poor seating in the channel. I'm having a heck of a time getting it to fit in properly to where I can close my door with the window all the way up. Might be time to replace. I see SoffSeal has some (apparently) for our cars. Has anyone used them? Or have any other recommendations?

FYI/Update: I returned my rear felts to Restoration Specialties, explaining that their clips were nowhere near the correct location. With them, i sent my original rear felts. Within 2 weeks, they sent me a new set. This time, they didn't use the crappy semi-removable clips, but actually the OEM style clips, so they fit perfect and look original. In any event, thought you might like to know.

Very helpful update. One more request: did you get the Soffseal strips, and if so have you been happy with them?

I believe I did, and they seem to be fine. I am having a heck of a tome adjusting my windows, mainly because I need to replace the bushings on my door hinges. In due time....

Back