How many 71 new yorker coupes with console?

Yours appears to be one of the sunroof cars that showed up with a different owner I guess a couple years ago then? Those optional wheel cover on yours also look very nice! Are you planning on painting it or anything? Or just driving it and enjoying it only as it is?

Yep, it's the same one. I was lucky to get it. Most people love the patina and I didn't mind it for a while, but it was repainted once in a lighter shade and does require some rust repair. It will be its original colours. I'll be starting a new thread soon. Hate to detract from this beautiful cars intro.

Calgary also. We have a great group here. Myself Cancritter Fury440 300Rag and 1Fury1 (carstairs boys) among others. We should get together as a group for a beer one day. I'll PM you some info.
For sure..text me sometime..403 200 6835 Rob..all the best

With so few miles on the New Yorker, it probably still has the original carburetor, which would have been a Carter AVS 4966 model (there is a tag usually on the rear of the carburetor at the top of the airhorn that is held on with one of the screws - it was blue that year). It would say 4966 on it. Here are a couple photos of what it should look like.

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

Generally, I have found these carburetors very reliable and perform well. Flooding of the carburetor would most likely be due to a sticking needle or perhaps less likely, sunken floats. Sometimes if a car sits a few months with ethanol laced gasoline in it, as the fuel evaporates, leaving the floats in an open position, trying to start it later when gum has caused the needles to stick open, you could get flooding. Most often, though, the needles stick closed making starting at all a problem.

1971 New Yorkers are one of my favorite models ever. Mine has the Chrysler road wheels on it, and to my eyes, it looks great with them. I tried to find a photo of mine, but was unable to find one with the road wheels showing in a useful way. To me, a car as original as yours and with so low miles should be kept as original as possible. You could use Rallye wheels or Magnums, but those were not factory options on the fuselage C bodies, and look just wrong to me. Mine also has the white interior and 38K miles on it.

View attachment 96495
With so few miles on the New Yorker, it probably still has the original carburetor, which would have been a Carter AVS 4966 model (there is a tag usually on the rear of the carburetor at the top of the airhorn that is held on with one of the screws - it was blue that year). It would say 4966 on it. Here are a couple photos of what it should look like.

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

Generally, I have found these carburetors very reliable and perform well. Flooding of the carburetor would most likely be due to a sticking needle or perhaps less likely, sunken floats. Sometimes if a car sits a few months with ethanol laced gasoline in it, as the fuel evaporates, leaving the floats in an open position, trying to start it later when gum has caused the needles to stick open, you could get flooding. Most often, though, the needles stick closed making starting at all a problem.

1971 New Yorkers are one of my favorite models ever. Mine has the Chrysler road wheels on it, and to my eyes, it looks great with them. I tried to find a photo of mine, but was unable to find one with the road wheels showing in a useful way. To me, a car as original as yours and with so low miles should be kept as original as possible. You could use Rallye wheels or Magnums, but those were not factory options on the fuselage C bodies, and look just wrong to me. Mine also has the white interior and 38K miles on it.

View attachment 96495
Super nice car..thanks again for the info....do you happen to know a good carb rebuild shop in Calgary?..looking to have the carter rebuilt this winter

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

Super nice car..thanks again for the info....do you happen to know a good carb rebuild shop in Calgary?..looking to have the carter rebuilt this winter

I live in Southern California, so I am unfamiliar with Calgary experts. The AVS carburetors are really easy to rebuild if you decide to do it yourself.

Would talk to Graham over at Cochrane Dodge...shure one of his guys can do it...hes a member here...Dobalovr

I saw that you posted your fender tag over on my restoration thread so I took the liberty of decoding it for you. Looks like a highly optioned ride you have. Looking forward to seeing it.

CH23:
Chrysler
High
2 Door Hardtop

T1C: Unknown
Jefferson Avenue, MI, USA

161959: Sequence number

E85: 440 cid 4 barrel V8 350hp
D32: Heavy Duty Automatic Transmission
GA4: Light Gunmetal Poly Exterior Color
H6XW: Trim - High, Vinyl Bucket Seats, Black/White
000: Full Door Panels
B27: Build Date: November 27
B20570: Order number

V1W: Full Vinyl Top, White
H53: Unknown
R48: Power Antenna
L31: Hood/Fender Mounted Turn Signals
L35: Cornering Lamps
H15: Rear Defroster

M45: Unknown
P41: Power Door Locks
P31: Power Windows
S61: Tilt/Telescopic Steering Column
C16: Console w/Woodgrain Panel

B41: Front Disc Brakes w/Standard 10in RR Drum
G11: Tinted Glass (all)
V7W: Accent Stripes, White
P45: Power Deck Lid Release

R32: Dual Rear Speakers

I saw that you posted your fender tag over on my restoration thread so I took the liberty of decoding it for you. Looks like a highly optioned ride you have. Looking forward to seeing it.

CH23:
Chrysler
High
2 Door Hardtop

T1C: Unknown
Jefferson Avenue, MI, USA

161959: Sequence number

E85: 440 cid 4 barrel V8 350hp
D32: Heavy Duty Automatic Transmission
GA4: Light Gunmetal Poly Exterior Color
H6XW: Trim - High, Vinyl Bucket Seats, Black/White
000: Full Door Panels
B27: Build Date: November 27
B20570: Order number

V1W: Full Vinyl Top, White
H53: Unknown
R48: Power Antenna
L31: Hood/Fender Mounted Turn Signals
L35: Cornering Lamps
H15: Rear Defroster

M45: Unknown
P41: Power Door Locks
P31: Power Windows
S61: Tilt/Telescopic Steering Column
C16: Console w/Woodgrain Panel

B41: Front Disc Brakes w/Standard 10in RR Drum
G11: Tinted Glass (all)
V7W: Accent Stripes, White
P45: Power Deck Lid Release

R32: Dual Rear Speakers
Opp's. .just got on here a few days ago still trying to figure the fourm and post thing out thanks for the decode..I will post more pics in a bit

So many post these numbers as unknown. I presume it's because the number isn't part of the general on line decoders. Over the years I've tried to remember the basics that apply to Cs of my interest.

H53=ac w/auto temp.
M45=wheel house opening skirt

That car is gorgeous!

I think you had a later post on your New Yorker than this one, but I could not find it. Nonetheless, I noticed it appears you have done a video on your beautiful New Yorker since this thread, as you now have some road wheels on it (apologies if you have posted it before):

youtube video 1971 chrysler new yorker - Bing video

You have the later road wheel centers generally found on the Formals rather than the earlier models such as your 1971. Maybe in time you might be able to find a set of those.

A gorgeous car! And I love the color.

Last edited:
Back