How many 71 new yorker coupes with console?

Or they were tossed by a new department manager.... Or they were stolen and still are around in an ex-employee's basement.... Depends who is telling the story.

The bottom line is that they don't exist for those years.

found this searching for info on Chrysler historical
Editorial: Chrysler Destroys Its Historical Archives; GM to Follow?
Chrysler was incorporated on June 6, 1925. Over the following decades, the automaker centralized and organized its archives, records dating back to the very beginnings of the American automobile industry. And then the company’s new owners decided history is bunk. Cerberus eliminated its archivist position. They stopped funding the documents’ maintenance. The company limited access to their archives and then stopped it altogether.

Worse was to follow.

With little notice and no planning, Cerberus literally abandoned the engineering library at the Chrysler Technical Center. The library was shuttered and the librarian laid off. And then the real crime: all the library’s books and materials were offered to anyone who could carry them away. I repeat: the documents were free for the taking. Within a week, a collection spanning decades was scattered to the winds; the books and other materials will never again be available in any coherent, comprehensive form.

The rest of Chrysler’s historical archives remain intact in a central location. Intense work by dedicated archivists has, over the years, provided organization and access to historians. Will FIAT consider these archives worth preserving? Do they even know they exist?

found this searching for info on Chrysler historical
Editorial: Chrysler Destroys Its Historical Archives; GM to Follow?
Chrysler was incorporated on June 6, 1925. Over the following decades, the automaker centralized and organized its archives, records dating back to the very beginnings of the American automobile industry. And then the company’s new owners decided history is bunk. Cerberus eliminated its archivist position. They stopped funding the documents’ maintenance. The company limited access to their archives and then stopped it altogether.

Worse was to follow.

With little notice and no planning, Cerberus literally abandoned the engineering library at the Chrysler Technical Center. The library was shuttered and the librarian laid off. And then the real crime: all the library’s books and materials were offered to anyone who could carry them away. I repeat: the documents were free for the taking. Within a week, a collection spanning decades was scattered to the winds; the books and other materials will never again be available in any coherent, comprehensive form.

The rest of Chrysler’s historical archives remain intact in a central location. Intense work by dedicated archivists has, over the years, provided organization and access to historians. Will FIAT consider these archives worth preserving? Do they even know they exist?

Can anyone tell me if I have a carter or holly on this 440 ? I just bought the car the carb I was told the carb is orginal when I looked I couldn't find any words indicating either it is a clean silver carb with one fuel line but it floods something terrible. .I am leaning towards a carter

Like most things on TTAC, that story is agenda-driven total BS. In fact, Cerberus spun off the archives/historic into a non-profit so it couldn't be sold off as an asset in bankruptcy. After 5 years as a non-profit, it was reaccquired by the company and exists today.

Back to the car... Beautiful! That was the best looking NY'er, in a beautiful color combo. Quintessential C-beauty.

Thank you for NOT going the cop-car wheel route. Totally wrong for that car. I'll give you some big-car rallye wheels for first right of refusal when you decide to sell!

Would the mopar rally rims for the A,B and E bodies be ok on this because the gunmetal color and those silver coated rims would look smooth would those A,B and E body rallys fit I know the bolt pattern is the same I am just concerned about the front rotars are they bigger on the c body 15 inch..thanks

What abut the 500 magnums.maybe not the right look on the New Yorkers ..I want it to look period correct

15" B/E rallyes will fit. Mopar Mag 500s only came in 14", but Ford did offer a 15" version. Personally, I think that would look better than B/E rallyes.

There are some period-correct aftermarket rims that would look great. My favorite would be a set of Motorwheel Spyders.

Another route might be to just look for any C's with rallyes on local Craigslist. Buy/swap/sell. I did that to get a set of snowflake rims for an '81 Imperial.

I have a '71 Chrysler 300 with the same console. The car is LOADED, but pretty roached. I've held onto it because it seems like it's unique and perhaps someone has the ambition to put 'er back on the road?

IMG_20151019_180425092_HDR.jpg
IMG_20151019_180439316.jpg

What type of rims should I use..it's so hard to find the chrysler rally rims online only the E and B body rally. .I like the black cop type with the dog dish caps.but is that a good look for a New yorker.

Sorry just got to this thread. Where in Alberta are you? I may have a set of Road Wheels that are available. PM me if you prefer

15" B/E rallyes will fit. Mopar Mag 500s only came in 14", but Ford did offer a 15" version. Personally, I think that would look better than B/E rallyes.

There are some period-correct aftermarket rims that would look great. My favorite would be a set of Motorwheel Spyders.

Another route might be to just look for any C's with rallyes on local Craigslist. Buy/swap/sell. I did that to get a set of snowflake rims for an '81 Imperial.
Sorry just got to this thread. Where in Alberta are you? I may have a set of Road Wheels that are available. PM me if you prefer
I live in calgary are you in alberta

I live in calgary are you in alberta

Calgary also. We have a great group here. Myself Cancritter Fury440 300Rag and 1Fury1 (carstairs boys) among others. We should get together as a group for a beer one day. I'll PM you some info.

Can anyone tell me if I have a carter or holly on this 440 ? I just bought the car the carb I was told the carb is orginal when I looked I couldn't find any words indicating either it is a clean silver carb with one fuel line but it floods something terrible. .I am leaning towards a carter

With so few miles on the New Yorker, it probably still has the original carburetor, which would have been a Carter AVS 4966 model (there is a tag usually on the rear of the carburetor at the top of the airhorn that is held on with one of the screws - it was blue that year). It would say 4966 on it. Here are a couple photos of what it should look like.

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

Generally, I have found these carburetors very reliable and perform well. Flooding of the carburetor would most likely be due to a sticking needle or perhaps less likely, sunken floats. Sometimes if a car sits a few months with ethanol laced gasoline in it, as the fuel evaporates, leaving the floats in an open position, trying to start it later when gum has caused the needles to stick open, you could get flooding. Most often, though, the needles stick closed making starting at all a problem.

1971 New Yorkers are one of my favorite models ever. Mine has the Chrysler road wheels on it, and to my eyes, it looks great with them. I tried to find a photo of mine, but was unable to find one with the road wheels showing in a useful way. To me, a car as original as yours and with so low miles should be kept as original as possible. You could use Rallye wheels or Magnums, but those were not factory options on the fuselage C bodies, and look just wrong to me. Mine also has the white interior and 38K miles on it.

100_5509.jpg

Last edited:
Damn! Another Calgary member! Why no Edmonton members? None the less, welcome from another 71 New Yorker coupe owner. Mine has the same white buckets, with the buddy seat. I purchased the car from Calgary five months ago with 110,000 miles, 5000 since then. Engine rebuild this winter. You should take up 'dobas offer, alternately I run 80's fifth ave steel 15x7s that accept stock hubcaps. Congratulation on your purchase!

I have a '71 Chrysler 300 with the same console. The car is LOADED, but pretty roached. I've held onto it because it seems like it's unique and perhaps someone has the ambition to put 'er back on the road?

View attachment 96456 View attachment 96452

You posted this car last year in this thread, and at the time you said you were going to check to see if the engine at least spins? Did you ever check that out? And I recall you didn't want to sell it last year but wanted to consider what to do with it. So now it seems you would entertain selling it. What are you asking for it?

Another Road Trip, Another C- Body ('71 Chrysler 300)

Last edited:
Back