How would you honor C bodies at Carlisle?

I would start this thread on more Mopar Boards...it would really help to get the word out. Also Facebook sure has grown. I see lots of names on there that I don't see posting on any message boards anymore.

For sure I would just limit it to C-Bodies, 1965-78. I am not sure what you would do with the Imperials. I guess by definition they would be out.

If Building Y get used for a display I would like to see something special like just 1970-71 Sport Fury GTs. If you could get 12 of them lined up that would be cool and would appeal to many people. It would inspire some guys to bring out their cars. Even at a big show like Carlisle I have only ever seen a couple at a time. It would be easier to promote it with just one make, model, and package.

My second choice would be C-body Cop Cars in the building. Third would be High Impact Paint cars.

I am sure there are other ideas out there...

I think the rest of the C-Bodies could be lined up outside in rows of Chrysler, Dodge and Plymouth. Everybody that shows up should be should welcome that's for sure. A tent set up at one end would be a great meeting and gathering spot. With the members and their cars close by who set everything up like Big John and Polara71.

The turnout is really dependant on how well the word gets out.

I am looking forward to what might show up!

Dave

BB Dave, Was there more A12 cars at Carlisle when they were spotlighted?

I never have been to Carlisle so I am not familiar with the show's grounds & layout.
The promoters should emphasize the C's in the advertising.

BB Dave, Was there more A12 cars at Carlisle when they were spotlighted?

I would say up to 5 to 10 A12s show up to Carlisle any given year. 40 to 50 show up for the Reunions.

posterreunion1a_op_800x425.jpg

Dave

A couple of things:
1)65-78 Chrysler, Dodge Plymouth, I've been to many shows that had a "C body" section, only to find a 62 Chrysler next to me. The Mopar hobby doesn't even know what a C body is, and I see this as a great opportunity to educate the masses.

2) 67-75 Imperial (D bodies ended in 1966... full frame = D body). This gives the C body community...US, the opportunity to set the "Imperial question" straight. They are not Y bodies, they are "stretched C's" from 67-73 with some unique parts...I won't get into the 80's 90's discussion. Appropriate year Imperials should solidly be part of the display.

Means of show casing C bodies- I think a mix of the limited/ special production C bodies over the years (70 Hurst, V code SFGT, S-23, 73 Newport Navajo& Mariner, Dodge white hat specials, 74 Imperial LeBaron Crown Coupe etc.) and a spotlight on C WAGONS.

Personal opinion- sorry convertible guys and 300 owners, but I would not shine the light on your cars because there is no need. Most of the C's that are at the shows I've been to are convertibles...and the muscle minded Mopar hobby already worships the 300. I think that the "other C bodies" need the love.

Last edited:
Somebody is going to have to make a decision on what Imperials to include and which ones not to. Mr. C makes a good point for including 67-75. As I said, I wouldn't want to have to make that decision.

Youve been there John, youve probably seen several set ups. Many times they do a building with some nicest of the nice. Then give a separate close by section to a string of AAR's / Mod tops, A12s whatever the honoree is. I also believe they give a write up in their program on the feature vehicles.

I firmly believe it should be 1965 to 1978 and no bending on that. Strictly C bodies, this is the Cs time to shine. The 300s have had some notoriety . The finned / forwardlook cars have been looked at. The C body needs its day and this should be the best that we can give it.
I agree with you Dave! This should be special for us!I think we should have a display in the large red building featuring cars from 65-78.We would have to be careful not to take vendor space from around the building so why not do a display along the area of the car coral. Seems like every year that I have been there it always has alot of space left over and it could be utilized to do another display.Possibly under a tent. That way it would utilize the space in that area better and would catch people coming in first thing at that rear gate. I also like the idea of doing somthing at the dealership. That way we could catch people from both entry points and one large display in the middle of the fairgrounds. Lets make this memorable!

All good ideas... I like the idea of a growing display of slabs, fuseys and formals to show the design changes.

The dealership is no longer available. Not sure what their doing with the building but is my understanding that it won't be what it used to be.

John is correct, putting cars in a display are usually committed to the weekend in that display.

Dave, do we have any idea how many C-bodies were there for 2015? My estimate is 25-30.

I'm thinking that an optimistic guess for turn out for this year would be double that. IMHO, I think the realistic number going to be around 35-40 cars (based on my estimate of 25-30 for 2015)

Some sort of growing display sounds good.

I would hope for a better turnout than that:icon_fU: Especially with C-Bodies really being in the spotlight for the first time. I am hoping to see a bunch of cool cars that I haven't seen before.

If you are facing Building Y from the car corral there is a fairly large area to the right. That is where the AAR/TA's were parked last year and the A12's the year before. The cars that commit to the Building would have to stay inside for the weekend but the outside display can come and go.

One guy took the lead and made of list of everyone coming to the A12 Reunion and posted updates on a separate thread, that helped build momentum. The key still is getting the word out.

Dave

No I don't John but looking at the four categories plus the 300s that are there I believe there were over 50 cars probably closer to 70..I counted once last year and half way through the row I lost track at 35.

No I don't John but looking at the four categories plus the 300s that are there I believe there were over 50 cars probably closer to 70..I counted once last year and half way through the row I lost track at 35.
Your estimate is much more likely to be correct. I never really counted the cars. With all the comings and goings, and then the older cars mixed in, it's hard for me to get a fix on what the number is.

I would hope for a better turnout than that:icon_fU: Especially with C-Bodies really being in the spotlight for the first time. I am hoping to see a bunch of cool cars that I haven't seen before.

If you are facing Building Y from the car corral there is a fairly large area to the right. That is where the AAR/TA's were parked last year and the A12's the year before. The cars that commit to the Building would have to stay inside for the weekend but the outside display can come and go.

One guy took the lead and made of list of everyone coming to the A12 Reunion and posted updates on a separate thread, that helped build momentum. The key still is getting the word out.

Dave

I'm not holding my breath on either the number of cars or getting a special place to display.

We have to compete with the 60th anniversary of the Charger and the 60th of the Street Hemi. We'll take a back seat to both of those.... and the dealership is gone. That doesn't leave much for the C-bodies.

I can see them using building T for Street Hemi and building Y for the Chargers.

I agree, we do have to get the word out, but I'll bet that right here we are covering a substantial number of C-body guys that go online.

One of the big challenges that Carlisle will have has to do with their own organization of categories (Imperial and 300) running up against the C body theme. For the event the appropriate year 300s (65-71) and Imperials (67-75) should be grouped together with the C body theme.

I hope that Carlisle recycles the C body theme periodically like it does for the other themes (A12 etc.)

Back