Introduction and looking for advice

Should you decide to go with that Imperial and want seats
I have both front and rear with the same cloth material and in green...

Also have all the chrome moldings for around the roof ....

Last edited:
Should you decide to go with that Imperial and want seats
I have both front and rear with the same cloth material and in green...

Also have all the chrome moldings for around the roof ....
Thanks, going to look at it tomorrow. Where are you based? What sort of money are you looking for for the full set of seats and trim? This may help me make a decision as to whether this project is doable. Thanks

....going to look at it tomorrow.

Is this your first C-Body? Or at least fuselage? Assuming it is, besides the issues you’ve already stated, here’s a few other things to check.

Not that it’s impossivle, but a black TX9 car, with a white top, and a pickle green interior seems pretty strange. IIRC from a previous thread most of the dash, steering wheel and floor are green. So it’s very possible it’s had a paint job or top change. Be sure to take a picture of the fender tag for us.

I don’t have to tell you to see and hear the engine start, but look for any hack jobs under the hood, and any loose seemingly useless wires in the cabin or engine bay. A simple thing like new battery terminals, or clean connectors tells a huge story about this history of the car and it’s owner.

What I like to do when checking out a car - is upon arrival immediately have them start it - and inspect the car while it warms up. Preferably on a warm/hot day. So that after around 15-20 minutes, I can check the temp. gauge or radiator for any leaks, steam, hissing, boiling. If it can’t idle for 15 minutes without overheating, I’d walk away.

Check the operation of the power seats - if it has one. Check all 4 power windows. Check the radio. The cruise control if you go on a ride.
Check if the A/C works, assuming it has it and that the compressor spins.
Not too important in Florida - but check if the heater core is bypassed. If it’s not - turn the heat on HIGH and let it run for a while. Try smell for any leaking coolant under the passenger side.

The other members have already hit it - but your A & C pillar and Dutchman panel are most likely going to be your biggest rust problem on a vinyl car. Be sure to check the rear wheel lips for any bubbling or cracking in the creases. Open up the trunk and look in the corners for weak spots. I have no real reason to say this - but my gut feeling just tells me there is bondo somewhere on this car. I may be wrong. But Id be wary of any wavy body lines, cracking, peeling, bubbling on the rear half of the car.

- Greer

Thanks, I will take on board what you have said. I think I saw this for sale last year, so it may have been sitting in the Florida sun all summer.

I have a good idea of the cost of work, but what I don’t know is the cost/availability of parts, so will likely not commit to anything until I have done some research.

Ask the guy what happened to the seat! That seems suspicious, kind of reminds me of a long time ago when I was steam cleaning carpets with Sears. I had a job in a not so great part of town to clean the entire main floor. One of the bedrooms had the carpet removed and had one of the most hastily installed laminate floors I have ever seen in place. I got a bad vibe from that house and couldn't help but think that something very bad happened in that room. Whatever the reason, there's a story.

Welcome from South FLORIDA!!!!

Besides all the good advice already presented, I’d like to add the following:

Assuming the car starts and runs, turn on all the lights and make sure they all work and the headlight doors aren’t stuck. This is expensive to fix and it’s best to know if they work from the beginning.

Are the lights bright? Does idle drop when you turn on the lights? Signals working? Door and interior lights working? Week power could be a bad alternator or the accumulation of a lot of poor connections and wiring repairs.

Imperials came loaded with standard equipment and the most complicated wiring.

Does it have the AutoTemp air conditioning system. Getting it back in line could cost a lot if time and money. Just saying.

Check for hacking into or bypassed electrical wires to the original harness.

Look under the dash and pull the vent duct under the dash that is held on by two screws and check the wiring under there and condition of the fuse panel for overheated circuits etc.

Yes you can fix anything but if someone “fixed” it wrong or poorly, it will be a constant source of agrevation.

Having said that, this car has been posted here before and was an odd ball with the colors which makes me suspect a color change or on of the weirdes combinations I’ve ever seen.

I wouldn’t pay the asking IMO. It looks like a $1500 starting point for an Imperial.

Javier.

Back