Mexican B-Body

Status
Not open for further replies.

bajajoaquin

Reaction score
Contact seller
This is on the local Craig's List:

http://sandiego.craigslist.org/csd/cto/4336641113.html

A Mexico-model Coronet. It would be awesome to have to hear people whisper, "that's not correct...." and know they're wrong! 00M0M_h4MOOlP6EXk_600x450.jpg

00M0M_h4MOOlP6EXk_600x450.jpg

I've always wanted to put a '66-'67 Charger grille on my '66 Coronet 500. I doubt that grille was a Mexican thing, but rather an owner-installed thing on this car. Another unique item on this Coronet is the upper fender trim, like on a Charger or a '66 Satellite. The interior is '66 - '67 Coronet 500 SE. The wheels must be a late-model style of some sort, but they do look good here. I'd take off the owner-added side marker reflectors, as they do not "fit" the car at all. The heater-delete plate would be a very rare and desirable part for a guy building a fake '67 S/S Coronet!

Last edited:
I'm wrong??? I've owned 26 '66 and '67 B-bodies since 1980. I've got a pretty good idea about what I'm talking about. Oh, and '66 and '67 Coronets were not built in Mexico. Those years of Darts and pickups were built there, however.

15 - '66 Coronets
3 - '66 Chargers
2 - '67 Coronets
2 - '67 Belvederes
3 - '66 Satellites
1 - '66 Belvedere

And you???

Shall I continue? There are several items on this car that have been likely added by owners over the years. The dash "Coronet" plate in place of the "440" callout on the trunk lid. The "440 Coronet" on the sides, rather than "Coronet 440". The upper fender trim, which more than likely, came from a Charger and was modified to fit. The speedometer is in "miles" and not "kilometers", which it would've been, had this been a "Mexican" car. Sidemarkers were still a wet dream of the US safety nazis in 1966, and are obviously an owner add-on. I can go on, if you'd like.

Last edited:
MexCoronet.jpg

They came that way as Coronet 440 and Mexican built AFAIK.

MexCoronet.jpg

How many of those were built for the Mexican market? I think the answer is the same as me: 0

"this is an edition sold in Mexico so it has unique options as complete grill and hideaway headlights as the 66-67 dodge charger"

I don't know that to be true or false. But I do know that he doesn't claim that it was built in Mexico, as you imply. I'm not an expert in Mexican cars. I suspect you aren't either. There was a Mercury pickup truck for sale here a while back that I would have loved to own for the same reason: "Mercury never made trucks." They did for Canada.

When did Mexico start mandating side marker lights? I don't know. Do you? Did they perhaps start in 1967 before the US requirements? Or did they mandate larger side marker lights than the cool little round ones Chrysler put on in '68? Dunno. But maybe those side marker lights are original.

Was Dodge positioned upmarket or downmarket in Mexico compared to the US? Sportier or more sedate? These are all things that could have induced them to parts-bin-engineer a different look for another country.

But good technique. Make an attack on me, rather than address the topic at hand.

I sent an email to the seller. Maybe he has some documentation.

According to Allpar:

The Coronet was sold in Mexico, manufacturered by Automex (which was affiliated with Chrysler) to comply with a new 60% local-content rule, which demanded that the engine, transmission, and rear axle all be made in Mexico. All Chrysler vehicles sold in Mexico in 1966 therefore had the slant six as the only engine, since that was the only engine built in Mexico by Automex at the time. The only model was called the Coronet 440. About 26,000 vehicles were made by Automex in 1966, including the more popular Valiants and trucks.

The original post looks plausible.

I'm wrong??? I've owned 26 '66 and '67 B-bodies since 1980. I've got a pretty good idea about what I'm talking about. Oh, and '66 and '67 Coronets were not built in Mexico. Those years of Darts and pickups were built there, however.

15 - '66 Coronets
3 - '66 Chargers
2 - '67 Coronets
2 - '67 Belvederes
3 - '66 Satellites
1 - '66 Belvedere

And you???

Shall I continue? There are several items on this car that have been likely added by owners over the years. The dash "Coronet" plate in place of the "440" callout on the trunk lid. The "440 Coronet" on the sides, rather than "Coronet 440". The upper fender trim, which more than likely, came from a Charger and was modified to fit. The speedometer is in "miles" and not "kilometers", which it would've been, had this been a "Mexican" car. Sidemarkers were still a wet dream of the US safety nazis in 1966, and are obviously an owner add-on. I can go on, if you'd like.

Yes, please keep going on. Your original reply said, "I've always wanted to put a '66-'67 Charger grille on my '66 Coronet 500. I doubt that grille was a Mexican thing, but rather an owner-installed thing on this car. "

It appears it's not an owner-installed thing. If you want to go back an nit-pick all the other things, that's fine, I'm not stopping you. But the evidence suggests that you don't know what was and was not correct on a Mexican Coronet.

Which brings me back to how awesome it would be to own one of these and drive it to a car show.

From the seller:

Hi ,thank you for read my ad , ok i will begin to explain about its original equipment and yes it is all original,no modifications at all, you can see that the dash has the correct holes made to put the headlights switch and hold button to keep them opened when you turn of , all dodge coronets sold in Mexico were built with this option that only was stock in 66 -67 chargers in US , the side markers on front fenders and back quarter panels were also original equipment since i have found the correct and factory made holes where they are so i can say its original , if you see the dodge chargers in Brazil you will realize that its complety different than the US models for the late 70's ,its interesting finding this cars because are in some way unique and very rare original cars that were made for another market

Not sure about the markers; in the brochure pic you see a round "thing" where the one for sale has rectangular markers. This was an emblem very similar to round 68 side markers in appearance from a distance showing engine cid if you look around in the net.

I'm not sure about any of it except for the fender trim and grille, because they have some documentation in the ad. I'm just saying that I know less about what was and was not correct in Mexico in 1967. Some reasonable things are that side markers were mandated at a different time there than here; or side markers could have been an option (like back-up lights on my Imperial); or they could have been an add-on by a later owner. I mean, France mandated yellow headlights for decades, so there's no telling what crazy crap went on in different jurisdictions.

I just heard back again from the seller. I had asked him for higher-resolution pictures, but he didn't include any. I also gave him the link to this re-post of his ad, so hopefully he'll come by and put them here himself.

No sidemarkers in Mexico in 1966 or 1967. These are add-ons. I'll buy the Charger grille as original, because that ad shows it to be so. Notic in my originall post, I said "I doubt that grille was original..." NOT "That grille is not original...". I read some time ago that Automex did NOT build B-bodies in Mexico; this was pre-Interwebz, so no, I do not have a link to that. I'd bet that front fender indicator in the ad car is a turn signal, like what has been used in Europe since right after WWII. Notice there does not appear to be a rear lamp, and neither are rectangular.

Last edited:
Nice backtrack. Want to go for broke? How about the statements about the trim being modified Charger pieces? Right now, on things for which we have photographic evidence, you're 0 for 2.

Why not just admit that you are super-knowledgeable about US-spec Chrysler products, but not so knowledgeable about Chryslers made for other markets? Not all the world was made for America.

In 67 only (not in 66), the Mexican built Coronets featured the Charger's hidden headlight grille. The Coronet in Mexico in 67 was available as a 440 series 2 door hardtop and 4 door sedan, and as a 500 4 door sedan. As no convertibles were made by the factory, its not uncommon to find that local coach builders cut off the roof of some 2 door hardtops, and installed rather clunky looking, powered, convertible tops, so on occasion convertibles can be found as well. If you wanted a B-body wagon, you had to go to Plymouth. The 66-67 Belvedere was made in Mexico as well, but only as a 4 door sedan and wagon. All the Mexican built 67 Coronets had the Charger's hidden headlight grille and had the 67 Coronet 500/RT tail lights and trunk finish panel. The side trim on the Mexican 500, was the same as the US built 500, but the side trim for the Mexican 440 series was unique to the Mexican model. The round thing on the front fender was just an emblem. It was not a side marker light. I believe it was the "318" emblem attached to cars with the 318. 1967 was the first year a 318 was offered in the Mexican built cars. I believe the interiors were a bit more high end than the interiors on the US built cars as the Coronets were a more up market model in Mexico. On the Mexican Coronet 440's trunk finish panel where the pot metal "500" or "RT" emblem would be on a US built Coronet RT or 500 (as well as on the Mexican 500), there was a pot metal emblem, similar to the "500" emblem, that had the "Coronet" script in the center.
Over on the Dodge Coronet Registry, the subject of the Mexican Coronets comes up at least once a year.
The picture of the red 67 2 door hardtop someone else posted, is the cover of the brochure for the 67 Coronet in Mexico. It is the only factory photo I've seen of a Mexican Coronet.
Heres a couple ads for 2 door hardtop 67 Coronets on Autoclassico ( a Mexican website listing cars for sale).
http://www.autoclasico.com.mx/site/default.aspx?p=15&id_fol_auto=11947
http://www.autoclasico.com.mx/site/default.aspx?p=15&id_fol_auto=17182

round emblem
http://www.autoclasico.com.mx/site/eng/default.aspx?p=49&IdMensaje=15276

On a side note, the 67 Coronet with Charger grille, wasn't the only uniquely Mexican model Chrysler made. The 65 Valiant Alcapulco for example was similar to the US built Valiant Signet convertible and 2 door hardtop, but had the 65 Barracuda grille. The Acapulco model continued as an up market 2 door hardtop and convertible in 66 and as a 2 door hardtop in 67. A regular Valiant 2 door hardtop was also available in 67. In 68 and 69 the 2 door hardtop continued, but the top of the line Acapulco model was dropped. And yes, you read that right, in Mexico, there was a pillarless two door hardtop in the Valiant line, while the same car everywhere else in the world was only available as a 2 door post sedan and 4 door post sedan.
Heres a couple Mexican 67-69 Valiant hardtops for sale in Mexico.
http://www.autoclasico.com.mx/site/default.aspx?p=15&id_fol_auto=13730
http://www.autoclasico.com.mx/site/eng/default.aspx?p=15&id_fol_auto=13795
http://www.autoclasico.com.mx/site/eng/default.aspx?p=15&id_fol_auto=17150

Last edited:
Remember that's pesos, not dollars. The Valiant Acapulco converts to about $2200. Unless you were a real enthusiast, getting parts might make it too much of a pain. But living here in San Diego, it might be reasonable!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back