More vintage Pro Stock

image.jpeg

image.jpeg
Although these cars aren't Pro Stock cars the team (Sox & Martin) was a Pro team. Here 3 of their many different cars they raced are parked in a hotel parking lot

image.jpeg
Shirley Shahan in her Pro Stock 360 Hornet vs the Hemi Duster of Virginia's Ed Miller who' had a birthday yesterday

Last edited:
image.jpeg
Two of Atlanta's best the Hemi Arrow of the Barnett Brothers & the Mustang II of Charlie Peppers. At an IHRA event at Atlanta Dragway in the late 70's

image.jpeg
This was a car built by Don Carlton & Clyde Penly. Referred to as "The Yellow" car. It was very light & with a lot of leading edge tricks. It was a 340 smallblock powered car. Chrysler rented the car to use it to test the viability of a smallblock Pro car to overcome the harsh weigh breaks of the Hemi cars. From what I have been able to find out the car was extremely quick on the first half of the track, but not quite fast enough on the top end. I also understand the car used standard 340 blocks (not T/A) & they split a few off them. I would say this car & it's testing help lead to the W2 heads & X block that Bob Glidden used in his all conquering Arrow a few years later. When Chrysler was done with it they returned it to Carlton. Not sure he ever raced it in competition. He sold it to a Sportsman racer.

Back