New fuel pump, Half a full tank of gas, Won't Crank

Good Morning gentlemen. I got a little time Saturday afternoon to try and start the engine. Hooked up my remote starter and sprayed starter fluid in the carburetor and hit the remote. Let the engine turn over for about 30 seconds. Filled the glass fuel filter with gas but the engine didn't fire off . I didn't have time to see if I was getting fire from the coil. I usually pull the #1 plug, plug it back into the spark plug wire with a alligator clip attached to a piece of wire. I clip that to the thread part of the plug and clip the other end to a common ground, use my remote starter and watch for a spark for about 30 to 45 seconds.

After reading Big_John's reply. I really do need to check the gas flow with the plastic coke bottle. As to why I didn't do that right off I don't know. I have done that in the pass. I'm also going to check the coil direct using Big_John's way. He's checking the coil direct where I'm going from the coil through the distributor, to the plug wire, to the plug. In other words I'm going around the world to check the coil when I can do that direct.

Well guys I won't get a chance to work on the problem again til after Thanksgiving. I hope all of you have a great and Happy Thanksgiving Holiday.

Before i mess around with the fuel lines, i’d prove spark!

Good Morning gentlemen. I got a little time Saturday afternoon to try and start the engine. Hooked up my remote starter and sprayed starter fluid in the carburetor and hit the remote. Let the engine turn over for about 30 seconds. Filled the glass fuel filter with gas but the engine didn't fire off . I didn't have time to see if I was getting fire from the coil. I usually pull the #1 plug, plug it back into the spark plug wire with a alligator clip attached to a piece of wire. I clip that to the thread part of the plug and clip the other end to a common ground, use my remote starter and watch for a spark for about 30 to 45 seconds.

After reading Big_John's reply. I really do need to check the gas flow with the plastic coke bottle. As to why I didn't do that right off I don't know. I have done that in the pass. I'm also going to check the coil direct using Big_John's way. He's checking the coil direct where I'm going from the coil through the distributor, to the plug wire, to the plug. In other words I'm going around the world to check the coil when I can do that direct.

Well guys I won't get a chance to work on the problem again til after Thanksgiving. I hope all of you have a great and Happy Thanksgiving Holiday.

Again. . . You are not communicating. . . When you shot the starter fluid into the carb and hit the starter, did it cough, sputter, fart or act like it wanted to start? Or did the starter just spin it over with no discernible effect? If it was the latter, I would say your coil is suspect, and / or the wiring to it is not correct. As Chief Dan George would say: please "continue to persevere. . ."

When I shot the starter fluid into the carburetor and hit the remote starter, it didn't cough, sputter, fart or even act like it wanted to start. The starter just would turn it over and over with no discernible effect. All it did was fill the glass fuel filter with gas. I would say my coil has died which I will not be able to check until after Thanksgiving and I know my wiring is all correct. I converted the igniation system over to Pertronix including their Flame Thrower Coil per their instructions in May of 2015 and have had no problems at all until now. Also someone ask about my battery. Well I purchased battery 2 yrs old today per its warranty paper and sales receipt.

However I do have another question concerning my Pertronix Ignition system and my Ignition Ballast in my car which I will post after this problem is resolved.

Last edited:
When I shot the starter fluid into the carburetor and hit the remote starter, it didn't cough, sputter, fart or even act like it wanted to start. The starter just would turn it over and over with no discernible effect. All it did was fill the glass fuel filter with gas. I would say my coil has died which I will not be able to check until after Thanksgiving and I know my wiring is all correct. I converted the igniation system over to Pertronix including their Flame Thrower Coil per their instructions in May of 2015 and have had no problems at all until now. Also someone ask about my battery. Well I purchased battery 2 yrs old today per its warranty paper and sales receipt.

However I do have another question concerning my Pertronix Ignition system and my Ignition Ballast in my car which I will post after this problem is resolved.

I now suspect the coil too. . . But, I bet if you put the ignition system back to stock, it will probably start and run just fine. Seems like there is always some issue or other to conquer when going to Pertronix or another non-stock system.

I don't know why when we are young or just starting out working on engines we almost always want to blame a fuel problem when it is almost always a spark or lack there of issue. Coils usually don't show problems until they are hot in my limited experience. If this car didn't fire on ether you probably have no spark and probably the pertronix .

I don't know why when we are young or just starting out working on engines we almost always want to blame a fuel problem when it is almost always a spark or lack there of issue. Coils usually don't show problems until they are hot in my limited experience. If this car didn't fire on ether you probably have no spark and probably the pertronix .

Ninety percent of all carburetor problems are electrical. . .

+1 the coil.
Had the same symptoms with no starting. Replaced the Flamethrower II coil with a new gel filled F.T.II coil. Problem solved.

Had a similar issue some years ago with my Pertronix. It turned out to be the pick-up in the distributor.

If it is a Pertronix I and you left your key in the "Run" position with the engine off for more than a few minutes it is possible that you fried it.

Friday I went ahead a pulled the gas line from the carburetor and placed it in a Gatorade plastic bottle and hit the remote starter for about 30 seconds. And in that amount of time it put a little over 2 inches of gas in the bottle. So its not the fuel pump. Its installed correctly. A friend of mine is coming over tomorrow I think and is going to retest the coil and test the module using a test light. I have already tested the coil and its fired. But he's going to recheck the coil and check the module as well.

Back to your original problem for a moment.... When you said you had to siphon gas out of the tank, what kind of hose did you use? Was it black rubber or black plastic? Either way, you may have shaved some off the out side of it when you pulled it out of the tank after siphoning sending shavings into the tank. You may have get the tank out... hopefully not.
Not that it has anything to do with your starting issues.

I have heard of so much grief from people who use Petronix systems, I have no idea why anyone would still be using them. Learn to set points and have a happier and safer life. Just get the condensers these days from a reputable source such as NAPA.

And not that it is the cause for not starting in this case, but if I ever find black specs in my fuel system, I will always at least pull the fuel tank sending unit and look for evidence of rust in the tank or drop the tank entirely. Given how old our fuel systems are, if you haven't had a new tank by now, you probably need one. And replacing any rubber hoses/junctions in the fuel lines should be routine maintenance.

I have heard of so much grief from people who use Petronix systems, I have no idea why anyone would still be using them. Learn to set points and have a happier and safer life. Just get the condensers these days from a reputable source such as NAPA.

And not that it is the cause for not starting in this case, but if I ever find black specs in my fuel system, I will always at least pull the fuel tank sending unit and look for evidence of rust in the tank or drop the tank entirely. Given how old our fuel systems are, if you haven't had a new tank by now, you probably need one. And replacing any rubber hoses/junctions in the fuel lines should be routine maintenance.
I love my Pertronix I systems, in fact when I did switch to Chrysler solid state from the Pertronix on my vert I was disappointed with it. I have well over 10K troublefree and great performing miles on my Imp with Pertronix I.

Back