Oil capacity of a 1968 New Yorker?

"Capacity" can be greater than fill specifications.
When the oil level reaches the FULL mark on the dipstick, that's what you put in. 4+1.

How many pages shall we draw this thread out to on how much you put in after an oil change.
beat.gif

For as long as we can.

I'm not buying the Imperial was more expensive thus requiring more oil for it to last longer or the Imperial was heavier as we are only talking about a 500 pound weight difference.

I'm guessing 5 pages.

If the pan on the Imperial is the same, then what is different? Is the dipstick different, or the fill tube? We could then make a small change, use 5+1 and have the correct dipstick reading.

I am using FSM...PAGE 0-1..Add one qt to capacity with factory air or heavy cooling..
Sounds odd. I checked my 69 manual and it only refers to an extra quart of coolant for the max cooling or A/C cars. Can you scan it?

I see you did that while I was typing. That refers to the coolant and not oil.

I went back...I am wrong...it does say add for coolant...but my dip stick was 1 qt low on stick....so I guess I will go with what stick says....But rarefish..is correct..I am wrong...

I friend just purchased a all original 1968 New Yorker. He tells me that if you have A/C which his car has then the oil capacity is 6 quarts with the filter changed and cars without A/C have the 5 quart capacity. I told him that he is wrong and that they are all 5 quart capacity. He claims that he read the 6 quart capacity with A/C in "the service manual" Not sure what manual he is reading. He also told me that with 6 quarts in the pan, the dip stick read full. Any opinions on this???

I friend just purchased a all original 1968 New Yorker. He tells me that if you have A/C which his car has then the oil capacity is 6 quarts with the filter changed and cars without A/C have the 5 quart capacity. I told him that he is wrong and that they are all 5 quart capacity. He claims that he read the 6 quart capacity with A/C in "the service manual" Not sure what manual he is reading. He also told me that with 6 quarts in the pan, the dip stick read full. Any opinions on this???
Jon...You are right...I am wrong....After rereading...it does reference cooling .not oil capacity. ....but being a qt low on stick..has me confused...

The oil pan that is on the 400 that is now in my Challenger is deeper that the original pan on the 383 that came out it also had nice baffling in it for a 400-2 bbl. It hangs down below my k frame by about 3/4" old pan was up above bottom of k frame. I used the dip stick tube from the 400 and put 3 different dip sticks in it just to see how accurate they were all read correctly. Both pans hold 5 quarts with filter. I would say the dipstick tube is specific to the pan.

Back