Orange 1970 Chrysler 300

Agreed. But if you look closely you'll see that the red inserts in the grille do look indeed red. Wouldn't have they changed color too ?
That's where I'd fall back on the retouched part. I am confident that back then, and for probably a full generation prior, the marketing guys were fully aware of subtle 'tricks' to help make a photo more visually appealing.

As for 'special orders', my Dad ordered a new 77 Aspen 4dr, and ordered an SE (reason unknown) and specifically deleting the VT and whitewall tires. Dad's premise was that those 2 items took extra time to keep clean. I've never seen another SE sedan without VT. I suppose the dealer could've called that car a special order, the term doesn't mean the same thing to all people...

That's where I'd fall back on the retouched part. I am confident that back then, and for probably a full generation prior, the marketing guys were fully aware of subtle 'tricks' to help make a photo more visually appealing.

As for 'special orders', my Dad ordered a new 77 Aspen 4dr, and ordered an SE (reason unknown) and specifically deleting the VT and whitewall tires. Dad's premise was that those 2 items took extra time to keep clean. I've never seen another SE sedan without VT. I suppose the dealer could've called that car a special order, the term doesn't mean the same thing to all people...

The vinyl top was optional so it couldn’t be “deleted”. Blackwall tires were standard.

People confuse ordered with special ordered.

There was a time when you could actually pick and choose things and had to make decisions.

The two links (one of which works) refer to the one I used to own out here in Rancho Cucamonga.

Do you have a photo of the one that you know of that is in Michigan?

Agreed. But if you look closely you'll see that the red inserts in the grille do look indeed red. Wouldn't have they changed color too ?

Grilles for 1970 Chrysler 300s were always red. Body color didn't affect the grille color.

No but I’ll try and get it , The original owners so I was driving it last summer, but he died of old age and left it to his brother

It is in Finland now in the hands of a capable welder guy for a living. So it found the right home.
Good to know that CM27T0C210530 is in good hands! There are more pics of the car, from way back when -- any info you can share about the history of the car (or the build sheet, if any) would be welcome!

Back