Pic needed of correct dual exhaust tailpipes

hemidart1

Reaction score
can someone post a pic of the correct turn downs for a ‘69 C body?
I need to get new tailpipes and want to have my local guy have the pipes exit in the right spot with the right turndown.

TTI is too expensive right now to get out to eastern Canada and my guy is really good at bending

This is on a 69 Monaco Brougham. OEM exhaust, I believe.

IMG_6631.jpg

I'll add that they should be very understated from the rear. You can see them but they don't draw your attention. Just a pic I pulled from the web but you can see they're barely visible from the back of the car because as you can see by the above pics, they angle down before the bumper.

1969-chrysler-300-convertible-pilot-owned-for-30-years-very-fine-example-10.jpg

IMO Accurate and Waldron both make very nice, mostly correct pipes. Probably as close to original as you'll find without NOS.

This post is absolutely perfect, because I'll soon be getting rid of these awful, goofy, narrowly spaced, incorrect tips. I took pics at Carlisle but ya never know what's properly OEM, so the info and pics you guys have provided is great.

Rear View.JPG

I saw a Hurst at Carlisle with overly-big 3 inch pipes that had a nice, classy downturn, but they stuck past the valence out like diesel tips! These:
IMG_0042.JPG

Last edited:
This post is absolutely perfect, because I'll soon be getting rid of these awful, goofy, narrowly spaced, incorrect tips. I took pics at Carlisle but ya never know what's properly OEM.

View attachment 213185

I saw a car with 3 inch pipes that had a nice downturn, but they stuck past the valence out like diesel tips! These:
View attachment 213187
I hear the exhaust more with the tips in their proper location, I have the 3" pipes out past the bumper and I don't hear it in the car. Not correct, but a little hot rodder style to the car.

This was on a big Mope at Carlise, in the Featured Vehicles building. I didn't note what it was, just took a snap of the tips. Not a big fan of the busy design, but I guess they're VERY OEM on whatever that car was.

IMG_0182.JPG

IMG_0183.JPG

This post is absolutely perfect, because I'll soon be getting rid of these awful, goofy, narrowly spaced, incorrect tips. I took pics at Carlisle but ya never know what's properly OEM, so the info and pics you guys have provided is great.

View attachment 213185

I saw a Hurst at Carlisle with overly-big 3 inch pipes that had a nice, classy downturn, but they stuck past the valence out like diesel tips! These:
View attachment 213187
Hey Trace! Be aware of that Hursts were the kind of their own among Chryslers as they did not have turndowns. They are dual rectangles.

Whoa, ImpJay.....can we talk? This is interesting, because I've been puzzling about this since I got the car. I've seen the now-famous Chrysler PR photos showing "quad" tips that are vaguely like Challenger tips, and I've seen Interwebs pics of the same, like this one:

1970-chrysler-300-hurst-editon-5.JPG

And in this overseas video:
Chrysler 300 Hurst on the road

So, did ALL Hursts come like this, or was it an option? My build sheet shows N41, Dual Exhaust With/Out Tips. But since the Hursts were "kind of on their own", maybe N41 meant nothing at all to the Hurst folks, and on went the borrowed Challenger tips, maybe? [Damn, I hate speculation!]

I know that I don't like the tips on my car (shown below), because they're goofy-looking and located so narrowly instead of where the OEM hangers would be, and because the cross sectional area of the square hole is 75% of the area of the 2 1/2 inch pipes! So, they gotta go, but I doubt I'll ever find the correct quad tips. We can imagine that most exhaust systems from these cars have been replaced many times. Mine is custom stainless, nicely done....except for the tips.

Rear View.JPG

So.....my question is: Were any of the Hurst cars fitted with plain and simple downturns like a normal 300? And if so, what should they look like, please?

I changed mine back to the factory look for around $50 at a local shop. When looking for the correct "look", I found a pic on the web, and had the shop duplicate image. Here's some before and after shots, and one from the side...
300 old tips.jpg
300 New tips.jpg
300 side view tips.jpeg

Back