Pic needed of correct dual exhaust tailpipes

Whoa, ImpJay.....can we talk? This is interesting, because I've been puzzling about this since I got the car. I've seen the now-famous Chrysler PR photos showing "quad" tips that are vaguely like Challenger tips, and I've seen Interwebs pics of the same, like this one:

View attachment 217525

And in this overseas video:
Chrysler 300 Hurst on the road

So, did ALL Hursts come like this, or was it an option? My build sheet shows N41, Dual Exhaust With/Out Tips. But since the Hursts were "kind of on their own", maybe N41 meant nothing at all to the Hurst folks, and on went the borrowed Challenger tips, maybe? [Damn, I hate speculation!]

I know that I don't like the tips on my car (shown below), because they're goofy-looking and located so narrowly instead of where the OEM hangers would be, and because the cross sectional area of the square hole is 75% of the area of the 2 1/2 inch pipes! So, they gotta go, but I doubt I'll ever find the correct quad tips. We can imagine that most exhaust systems from these cars have been replaced many times. Mine is custom stainless, nicely done....except for the tips.

View attachment 217528

So.....my question is: Were any of the Hurst cars fitted with plain and simple downturns like a normal 300? And if so, what should they look like, please?

I`ve read that the Hurst tips were close to the ones used on B-bodies but they have a small difference of some sort. If I`m not totally wrong, it is the diameter of the tail pipes. Only the convertible seems to have turndowns.
Check Accurate Exhaust, ltd for them:
Retro-fit Exhaust Tip Package C-Body

Last edited:
Based on fuselage.de, the rectangles were optional. Quite surprising as most Hursts were eqiupped with them. In fact that vert is the single one on old pics that I have seen w/o them. There is quite a lot misinformation about them on the internet but I believe that member 69Monaco got it right on his site.

Last edited:
Based on fuselage.de, the rectangles were optional. Quite surprising as most Hursts were equipped with them.......

Thanks for that nice info, ImpJay, and now I've finally seen exactly what the dual rectangle tips looked like. At your suggestion, I re-read 69's *fuselage* site where he states "In the back, square bright tip exhausts were optional." I still don't particularly like them (kinda reminds me of the silliness of fart cans and giant wings on ricer carz), and being as my car was N41 (no chrome tips), I can go with the downturns like this on the Accurate site:

65-73ctailpipesforweb.jpg

Also, in the pic above we can see the correct repro Hurst tips. Clearly, the goofy rectangles the Previous Owner put on my car are FAR from anything remotely proper (he did all this in 1998), so it will soon be 2 1/2 inch downturns for me.

And yeah, the pipes on the Linda car do seem to hang a bit low. Perhaps that was done to accentuate the "racy" look. Or maybe so as not to asphyxiate Miss Hurst......

Again, thanks for your input!

No problem and thumbs up for what you are doing! What mufflers are included
into your plan?

Last edited:
ImpJay,

The car has a fully welded stainless custom system starting with outstanding Hooker Ceramic headers (say what you will about headers....I'm never going to be a concours car :poke:), 2 1/2 pipes back to Flowmasters in the traditional location, then up and over to the goofy tips that are also fully welded to the pipes. It was well done, tight to the floor, and not a clamp in sight. If it wasn't for those goofy tips.....:BangHead:....I wouldn't be touching it at all.

I have never been against headers, but those Dronemasters could be replaced with something much better, For example Hooker Aeroflows or Dynomax Ultra Flow Welded muffles would give a nice and mellow rumble with no excessive drone. Then you also get rid of the canny tone.

I have never been against headers, but those Dronemasters could be replaced......

You make a good point about the droney Flows, which were state of the art when installed 20 years ago. And because I noticed a seam that’s looking a little tired on one of them....it’s worth thinking about when re-doing my tips.

And yaknow.....I'm WAYYYYY over loudish exhaust, particularly on low-perf cars and motorcycles that are simply converting gasoline to noise as they struggle to accelerate, and I've left the systems on my Ducati and Vette totally alone (which do not struggle!). I'm sure this stems from my 20 years at the dragstrip, dealing with the pleasant roar of 4-inch headers on 13:1 race motors running 5:13 gears. No drone there!

So anyway, thanks to all who contributed to this thread. I now have my vision of nice-looking Mope downturned tips.

Last edited:
I`m waiting see and preferably hear the result! From those Ultra Flows you need to know one drawback, which is a slight background humming at about 2000(or about)RPM, if I remember right that what I have been told about them.

Not factory, but installed nicely by my (when I lived there) local exhaust guy in Bakersfield, CA.

IMG_2260a.JPG

Thanks to all of you who contributed pics and Hurst tip info, I went to a 30+ year muffler shop today and had my "rocket motor" tips removed and installed plain, peek-a-boo tips that they bent for me. I love it, especially after a spritz of Rustoleum Satin Nickel to camouflage the tooling marks. Also installed MagnaFlows in place of the old, canny Dronemasters ....sounds sweet, almost OEM.

IMG_3186[1].JPG
IMG_3188[1].JPG

That looks nice.

Thanks. I'm real pleased.

And as an added bonus, the goofy rectangular tips the PO had installed nearly 20 years ago had a cross-sectional area equal to a 1 3/4 pipe. When I went to WOT, the car would roar but not make power. It was constipated! With the tips now proper, I spent an hour working with initial and centrifugal timing [36 total], and cranking back the onset of vacuum advance in the distributor can [5 1/2 turns CCW from all the way CW, limiting any advance from coming on until 13 inches Hg]. I can whack the throttle and it goes like a TNT should with no rattle, and light throttle is also now quiet and smooth. I'm getting there....the Street Demon 625 cfm is next.

Back