Rear main seal leak

440Chauncey

Reaction score
I have a 68 New Yorker with a standard 440 with 30,000 miles. This car has been sitting most of its life until recently. When it sits it leaks pretty good. Im assuming its the rear main seal because the valve covers are dry along with the oil sending unit. Is there anyway to easily drop the pan and repair the seal. Or is there any quick fix that I can just buy at the auto store?

A can of "quick fix" at the store will take care of it for a brief temporary period.
A quick fix is not fixing it. You're just swelling up the seal until it totally self destructs.
The right way is to unbolt and raise the engine and drop the oil pan.

Last edited:
yeah, I found the seals on summit which im going to order. It'll be a good project for this winter.

there is a tool that can pull a new rope rear main seal in , there is a lot of undoing of oil pan , and losing of the main caps so you can rotate the crank to pull one out and replace it with the new one . no quick way , i just pull the engines an re-gasket them completely , change the freeze plugs and timing chain as well . all the rest should be fine , but it could be overhauled as well , rings , bearings , ect....

Given the low mileage you will find a lot of dried out bits. If you start driving it you will spring more leaks. Similar to Pomona I would pull the engine and re asked it. I'd do freeze plugs, but would not do the head gaskets. If it's got 30k and runs well I see no reason to crack those bolts or replace hard parts.

no issues here , thats just what i do . all the parts can be reused , just have more to do later . new gaskets is cheap insurance against those seeping leaks .

bob , well its right there , could deal with it in place , remove the inspection plate . its tight , exhaust , steering , ect...will be in the way , still like have it out for this , can pull the whole assembly (motor/trans combo) as one part with the hood on . do it in/out that way . or drop the sub frame section , still have to pull the engine out of that . did those that way. paul m

DSC03376.JPG

DSC07848.JPG

DSC03631.JPG

cuz I've done it 3 times in my GTX and every damn time it leaks.

it WILL be conquered this winter though

You sure it's oil? Could be converter drain back...

Any job worth doing is worth doing ONCE. Remember, your engine is 40 - 50 years old no matter what the mileage is. Pull the engine, do the rear main seal the right way, and replace the freeze plugs. Next 40 years.

The rope can be done in the car. That's how the tool got developed in the 40s I think..lol.
But - if it were me I wouldn't do it. I've done a few and they are hard to get to seal. So I'd stick in a lip seal to see if it holds. If not, then pull it and do the rope.

Back