"Special" Editions

oh my .. lookin' for the Yetis .. and found this. Guess they couldn't even give 'em away. :)

00-1-2-1.jpg

i dont see your point on the "dump" thing. I asked a question about the 61 Imperial Were there any factory two-tones in this era ... or is this somebody's creation. If i knew the answer, would not have asked.

My point is that most of what you've posted are "legitimate" factory (or regional/dealer) special editions. However the '61 Imperial is most obviously a backyard creation. For one thing, the factory would never break a two-tone in that manner... it just doesn't work in production. You'll never see one that doesn't transition under a piece of chrome or a tape stripe. Next, those colors weren't offered in '61, nor were the gross 2-toned velvet seats. Thankfully, the article doesn't describe the car as an "original" 2-tone. It's about as authentic as Potsie's 1975 jerri-curl on Happy Days set in the 50s.

Same goes for the '74 Crown Coupe, but at least that one is honest about the color change and the car itself looks well done.

I'm just trying to keep the thread about "real" cars, not backyard specials.
th?id=OIP.VOZCAH7qQjdwEnzkSTX0ggEsDh&pid=15.jpg

"my idea"?

really dunno your point .. so i dont get what you say I am doing?? lets not chew up anymore thread space. i'll shoot you a PM.

The threads you posted were created by me. The cars were one-offs created for the '73 auto show circuit (per my reseach of period coverage). They were never offered as "specials", just attention grabbers for the shows. When their show days were over, the cosmetic modifications were not liability issues, so they were sold to employees using the "Lynch Road Lot" system. The employees were then free to sell them, so I suppose that means they were available to the public... However...

The Mariner remains with the orginal owner's family, (as of my last sighting in 2015). I just found the Sundance in November of 2016 and it now resides in my garage as I try to track its history. The odds are against the Fury's survival, but I did find a yahoo-forums post from around 2008 that claims it was For Sale "somewhere".

I have come across people who claim they made more than one Mariner. I'm sure what they saw was just a Q5 Newport with a porthole window added (as was a "thing" back then).

Just trying to keep the history straight.

cool carmine. so we can move on and talk about cars and trucks again. :)

take a peek at post #55 if you get a chance. if you have the Sundancer, what does Mr. Burns own?

1970 AMC Rebel "Machine. 2,326 made

00-1-0.jpg

Source: Red, White & Fast: 1970 AMC Rebel Machine

00-1-1.jpg
00-1-2.jpg

Rebel Machine Specs
Engine: 390ci V-8, 340 hp @ 5,100 rpm, 430 lb-ft @ 3,600 rpm
Drivetrain: BorgWarner M22 manual 4-speed transmission with Hurst linkage, Borg & Beck 10 1/2-inch-diameter clutch, Dana 22 live axle with 3.91 gears and Twin Grip
Brakes: Bendix front disc/rear drum
Wheels: 15×7 steel two-piece
Tires: E60-15 Goodyear fiberglass-belted bias-ply
Suspension: Unequal-length A-arms, Rebel station wagon heavy-duty coil springs and shocks, 0.94-inch stabilizer bar (front); 4-link control arm with coil springs, 0.95-inch stabilizer bar (rear)
Dimensions
Wheelbase: 114 in
Overall length: 199 in
Overall width: 77.2 in
Overall height: 54.4 in
Shipping weight: 3,650 lb​

We;ve had it here in at least two places:

Vintage junkyard pics

One not doing so well
img_4848-jpg.jpg

LAngley Goodguys cruise in...

One looking pretty good
i697.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Fvv340%2Fthrashingcows%2FGoodguys%25202014%2FPICT0292_zps96415155.jpg

Great idea for a thread by the way.
78 Dodge mitsu diesel, I've never seen one in person, and its more on the option side of things, rather than a "special"
1978DodgeD200_diesel_03b.jpg
22249790006_large.jpg
8.jpg

Sno Commander, not many survive due to the work done with them.

b55c8634feaf89c53bb6100b92a6a4fe.jpg
SC1.jpg

thanks barnfind.

I changed the title and post #1 a bit to encourage folks to put the "special" vehicles here.

Those clearly called "Specials" (e.g., equipment/colors, etc not available on other cars like it at the time, the White Hat sales), "packages" (e.g. the Dude, rare options) offered a limited time only, 'limited editions" (e.g. one year only vehicles, vehicles called that by the factory), the very rare roadworthy "promotional" vehciels (e.g. Mariner, Sundancer, Aspen), "regional specials (e.g, Red Wings Ram), and all "odd ducks" (e.g., the Snapper) that showed up over the years.

Whatever we come up with .. so we could see them, learn about them, weigh in on what we think they are, document what we can verify about them, call BS on the cobbled up/homemade vehicles, and so forth. And then try to arrange this assortment of past Forum posts in one place.

If folks that know these cars can get surprised (e.g., Newport 440). who knows what else is out there to find. :)

thanks for helping out.

Last edited:
A friend of mine has a "Sno Commander" .. I thought, till this moment, it was some made up BS he thought of himself and not a factory offering. Said it was delivered all tricked out, plow and everything.

I gotta call him and apologize for all the sh*t I gave him. :)

His truck looks like this one.

00-1-2-1.jpg

00-1-2.jpg

thanks barnfind.

I changed the title and post #1 a bit to encourage folks to put the "special" vehicles here.

Those clearly called "Specials" (e.g., equipment/colors, etc not available on other cars like it at the time, the White Hat sales), "packages" (e.g. the Dude, rare options) offered a limited time only, 'limited editions" (e.g. one year only vehicles, vehicles called that by the factory), the very rare roadworthy "promotional" vehciels (e.g. Mariner, Sundancer, Aspen), "regional specials (e.g, Red Wings Ram), and all "odd ducks" (e.g., the Snapper) that showed up over the years.

Whatever we come up with .. so we could see them, learn about them, weigh in on what we think they are, document what we can verify about them, call BS on the cobbled up/homemade vehicles, and so forth. And then try to arrange this assortment of past Forum posts in one place.

If folks that know these cars can get surprised (e.g., Newport 440). who knows what else is out there to find. :)

thanks for helping out.

Im a bit surprised more aren't chiming in. The unusual ones are what keep the hobby interesting to me. Cs are still shrouded in mystery, as there just isnt alot of info out there on em. Keep em coming even if they aren't Cs, the more unusual the better! Seems strange that some have never been seen other than on paper.

2004 to 2006 Ram SRT-10. about 10,000 made,

I love these friggin' things. regular AND quad cab (yeah, two of 'em) if I coulda swung it.

Always something else I wanted more when buying time came but still .. shoot, this is when 300rag tells me "don't forget about that bus" and he'd be right :)

Source: Wikipedia

The SRT-10 featured an 8.3 liter (Viper) V10. This engine produced 500 bhp at 5,600 rpm and 525 lb·ft of torque at 4,200 rpm. The regular cab, with a total curb weight of 5,130 lb, reached a top speed of 154 mph and could accelerate from 0 to 60 mph in 4.9 seconds, whereas the Quad Cab, weighing 5,618 lb achieved 0-60 mph in 5.6 seconds and reached a top speed of 147 mph . The regular cab could complete the 1⁄4 mi in 13.6 seconds at 106 mph,the Quad Cab in 13.7 seconds at 100 mph .

00-1-0.jpg
00-1-1.jpg
00-1-2.jpg
00-1-2-1.jpg
00-1-2-7.jpg
00-1-2-8.jpg
00-1-2-9.jpg

Last edited:
Remember of main objective. Still looking for C's and help on a few.

1. Post #2: A running or salvage 1970 Newport 440. A picture of one from anywhere or time. Did you own one? See one on the road once? Its pretty wild that NONE of us (who have chimed in so far anyway) ever saw one that we recall, let alone owned one.

2. Post #8. Road-worthy, auto-show "protoype" 1973 Plymouth Aspen, "basically a white 4drhtp Fury with a big blue snowflake on the side, ski racks and huge whitewall snowtires." Only one known to exist via eyewitness accounts. Most likely only seen at an auto show. If not saved by someone connected with Chrysler, it could easily be long gone by now. Hopefully some promotional material exists like for the Mariner and Sundancer, or one of the major auto shows (Detroit, New York, Chicago, LA, etc) back in the day one was displayed.

3. Post #9: The 1969 Fury Snapper, "the sleek, stylish, limited edition cousin of the Road Runner. Body color was gold, and the exclusive turtle-shell vinyl roof sported a camp Snapper name on a turtle image on the C-pillar. No real historical photos can be found, and not one single present-day example.

4 Post #10: The 1969 1/2 Plymouth Diplomat, "which appeared to be a Fury pillared coupe with Sport Fury ornamentation. It is these dealer initiatives and/or regional models that are the most difficult for automotive historians to discover and document." All we have is Toledo OH area, at a particular dealership, no pics, no ads, no nothing. Seems like someone in/from that area, and old enough to maybe have seen one, has to chime in.. OR we could be chasing a "unicorn in a tutu" on this one.

5. Post #76: 1975 Gran Fury Sport Suburban. Anybody know what had to be on the car to make it a Sport Suburban over a Gran Fury? My parents had a Gran Fury, woodgrain, 400-4bbl plain vinyl seats, dog dish hubcaps.

thanks anyone/everyone for helping out.

Last edited:
2004 to 2006 Ram SRT-10. about 10,000 made,

I love these friggin' things. regular AND quad cab (yeah, two of 'em) if I coulda swung it.

Always something else I wanted more when buying time came but still .. shoot, this is when 300rag tells me "don't forget about that bus" and he'd be right :)

Source: Wikipedia

The SRT-10 featured an 8.3 liter (Viper) V10. This engine produced 500 bhp at 5,600 rpm and 525 lb·ft of torque at 4,200 rpm. The regular cab, with a total curb weight of 5,130 lb, reached a top speed of 154 mph and could accelerate from 0 to 60 mph in 4.9 seconds, whereas the Quad Cab, weighing 5,618 lb achieved 0-60 mph in 5.6 seconds and reached a top speed of 147 mph . The regular cab could complete the 1⁄4 mi in 13.6 seconds at 106 mph,the Quad Cab in 13.7 seconds at 100 mph .

View attachment 130739 View attachment 130749 View attachment 130750 View attachment 130751 View attachment 130752 View attachment 130753 View attachment 130754
Would have been better jammed into a Neon, save your breath about legal/emissions/ and acceptability, cool is cool and pu trucks ain't.

Just hit the disagree button below no one cares about the argument.

Back