tag decoder

mr gtx

Reaction score
can someone help i know it's red paint and red interior but that's all. 1962 300

image000000006.jpg

Depending on what plant produced the car, the 'fender tag' is coded differently.
Below is an example of a tag from the Lynch Road MI plant.

This info was gleaned from Galen Govier 'Chrysler Corp Production Option Code Book 1962-1965

Read left to right bottom to top:

SO: Scheduled Production Date
Number: Shipping Order Number
BDY: Car Line?Body Style
TRM: Trim Code
PN: Paint Code
T: Paint Style

A-Z
A: Engine (Std Engine No Code)
B: Transmission
C: Radio
J: Heater
L-M: Electrical Items
T: Mirrors
Z: Vehicle Sales/Delivery

1-0
1-2 Gate Delivery Number
5-7 Base Sequence Number

The production plant number should be on your VIN plate; left front door post. fourth digit.

Omni
This doesn't answer all your questions but it hopefully shed some light.

yes thanks remote mirror and power windows which i have. wonder what d and h are for
Depending on what plant produced the car, the 'fender tag' is coded differently.
Below is an example of a tag from the Lynch Road MI plant.

This info was gleaned from Galen Govier 'Chrysler Corp Production Option Code Book 1962-1965

Read left to right bottom to top:

SO: Scheduled Production Date
Number: Shipping Order Number
BDY: Car Line?Body Style
TRM: Trim Code
PN: Paint Code
T: Paint Style

A-Z
A: Engine (Std Engine No Code)
B: Transmission
C: Radio
J: Heater
L-M: Electrical Items
T: Mirrors
Z: Vehicle Sales/Delivery

1-0
1-2 Gate Delivery Number
5-7 Base Sequence Number

The production plant number should be on your VIN plate; left front door post. fourth digit.

Omni
This doesn't answer all your questions but it hopefully shed some light.
yes thanks. i see power windows and remote mirror which i have wonder what d and h are for

My decoder is functional and in need of testing. Here is a report on the '62 300 2DHT. Comments, criticisms & corrections welcome. In dire need for more '62's--especially loaded Chryslers & Imperials.

62 300 2DHT 1-6-24.jpg

Pre '65 Body Data Plates/Fender Tags were just that--info for body assembly, only. Info on chassis items that did not impact body details were not represented. Tranny's were shown as interiors would be different for stick/automatic/console, but engines were not--tilt wheels, sure grip, auto pilot, tires, axles, wheel covers & etc. were not shown. Did you look for a Track Sheet-often found tucked in behind the springs of the back seat upright cushion. Full info on the car.

Pre '65 Body Data Plates/Fender Tags were just that--info for body assembly, only. Info on chassis items that did not impact body details were not represented. Tranny's were shown as interiors would be different for stick/automatic/console, but engines were not--tilt wheels, sure grip, auto pilot, tires, axles, wheel covers & etc. were not shown. Did you look for a Track Sheet-often found tucked in behind the springs of the back seat upright cushion. Full info on the car.
don't have the car yet making the deal this week. he said no sure grip. my old 300 had 323 no sure grip thinking this must be the same. it does have the padded wheel there just little pads.

image000006.jpg

I think the dark/black grips and color-coded section on the wheel are part of the Order Code 414 padded steering wheel option.

don't have the car yet making the deal this week. he said no sure grip. my old 300 had 323 no sure grip thinking this must be the same. it does have the padded wheel there just little pads.

View attachment 637270

I think the dark/black grips and color-coded section on the wheel are part of the Order Code 414 padded steering wheel option.
I was trying to figure out what the "padded steering wheel" was. Interesting... This must be the stock wheel and it looks like it's just a horn ring difference.

1704731938778.png

Not stock, and probably off topic, but here is a padded wheel that is in my '65.
My Upholstery Shop whipped it up with some left over leather.
IMG_1341.JPGIMG_1344.JPGIMG_1342.JPG

he has the hub caps 14". i would like 15" what would you suggest for wheels ?
I like the wheel style just not on a luxury car . Its only my opinion but I prefer stock size wheels on older cars . Its like a 90 year old woman in a bikini….lol

Back