Talk about a diamond in the rough!

Status
Not open for further replies.

detmatt

Old Man with a Hat
FCBO Gold Member
Reaction score
Contact seller
'38 Desoto convertible coupe! When was the last time?
http://detroit.craigslist.org/okl/cto/3829035174.html

image.jpg

That would be an amazing car to restore, own and drive!

I would love to own that but would never do it justice.

What a great car, it cant possibly last the weekend

I'm trying to picture it black & slammed. Nevermind......

100K to restore it?

I can go look for anybody interested, I'd love to see it up close.

I think putting this one back together with a correct interior will be a major task. The new white walls look about as old as the car itself.
Garage kept for 50 years.:thinker:

Most of the guys who really can relate to these cars are about as old as the car itself. To me the interest starts when they skipped the exposed running boards and had integrated headlights which is around 1939 and I consider myself a rather young exception.

I think putting this one back together with a correct interior will be a major task. QUOTE]
I see this car as a worthy project. Claims it's all there, thats half the battle. I'm not seeing any major body issues although nothing is said about the floors.

Someone with good hands and about 30K, (plus purchase price), could be driving this car.

I couldn't agree more!

You didn't mention the time to do it Will. I can still go at it pretty steady but definatly not fast! Last one took 22 yearz and I've been at the current one for 'bout 10 and I'm afraid to look down the tunnel. Too many projects, so little time.......left.

Yeah but you could make it as nice as you could with what's there and have a really kool driver.

You didn't mention the time to do it Will. I can still go at it pretty steady but definatly not fast! Last one took 22 yearz and I've been at the current one for 'bout 10 and I'm afraid to look down the tunnel. Too many projects, so little time.......left.
But it's a labor of love.......... You start keeping track of your time and you'll scare yourself.
I don't start a project that I can't carry through with. I plan, accumulate needed parts and once I start i follow through to completion. Most projects can be completely dissasembled, refinished and reassembled in 1-2 years on a hobby level if dilligent. I don't think this Desoto would take that long.

I don't have a place to keep 10 year projects and hate doing things over again that have deteriorated due to age.

30K time & materials and the purchase price of this car will be about what it will be worth complete..... Ya gotta love doing it....!

We don't need another hot rod.
I didn't say it needed to be flat black and what we really don't need is for a heritage piece like that to be ignored.

A sleeper hotrod would not bother me. Keep it stock looking and throw whatever mopar engine you want in there. Just don't destroy the car for "go fast" parts.

A sleeper hotrod would not bother me. Keep it stock looking and throw whatever mopar engine you want in there. Just don't destroy the car for "go fast" parts.
NO.NO.noooooo...... Your on the wrong page. LOL.
The car has retained most, if not all of it's originality... Including it's 6 cyl flat engine....for all this time....... It's a sign from the Desoto gods. What a sweetheart.

Engine will be an easy rebuild for less then the cost of a transplanted powertrain. Original interiors on these cars were pretty basic and would cost less then a full custom interior. Body, paint & chrome.... No big issue.

The least costly way to do this car is back to original...... And MAN..... It would be something unique instead of just another wierd damm streetrod.

If I didn't already have my 61 Plymouth project I would be calculating what offer I would be making on this car.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back