The weaponization of the DMV

If you have the broadcast sheet the correct label is noted on there.

Alan

Assistance, please:

1971 New Yorker Broadcast Sheet.jpg

Last edited:
Hmm? Middle of line 5 there is a section for Labels, in 69 it was IDLE and TIRE, looks like the 71 is VEC and TIRE. No idea what VEC is, on the 69 the code is the last two digits of the part number on the label.

Edit: That looks like it might be 45? that might be it.

Alan

I didn't realize that was on the broadcast sheet. VEC stands for vehicle emission control label I would assume as well. When enlarging John's image of his broadcast sheet for his New Yorker, it does show 49 as the last two digits of the number on the VEC, which are the last two digits on all of my 440 std engine labels for 71s not originally built for California. So it all comports and I believe that John should just go back to the same DMV and get it updated with the correct label in place (and maybe take his broadcast sheet just in case any further pushback comes up for some reason).

Last edited:
Documentation, much better than actual pieces of said emission equipment. That will fix the atmosphere. Keep up the good work Ca. The rest of us are proud of you for leading the way in bureaucratic nonsense instead of just making sure the actual factory equipment is in place. Does not take a rocket scientist to see if the car is a cobbled mess, or just a nice old car without a sticker.

Look at that, now we know Jakter is another useless government employee.
Go ahead, disagree, still useless.

Last edited:
Documentation, much better than actual pieces of said emission equipment. That will fix the atmosphere. Keep up the good work Ca. The rest of us are proud of you for leading the way in bureaucratic nonsense instead of just making sure the actual factory equipment is in place. Does not take a rocket scientist to see if the car is a cobbled mess, or just a nice old car without a sticker.

Logic is out the window while playing in the make-believe world of "the system". I've been dealing with another State agency regularly for years as part of my job which is equally illogical on many levels. One must change his mindset to get things done whether it makes any sense or not. At the end of the day I'm just trying to get a piece of paper, a pair of license plates, a sticker, and the privilege of paying a steep tax for all of that annually - all of which will just allow me to legally drive the car.

Last edited:
Logic is out the window while playing in the make-believe world of "the system". I've been dealing with another State agency regularly for years as part of my job which is equally illogical on many levels. One must change his mindset to get things done whether it makes any sense or not. At the end of the day I'm just trying to get a piece of paper, a pair of license plates, a sticker, and the privilege of paying a steep tax for all of that annually - all of which will just allow me to legally drive the car.
I hear you. Pa. has a whole host of problem all their own. Once there is no title for a car you are doomed. Other states let it be placed in a bonded title that usually reverts to the sole title after a number of years. Again good luck, sorry for clogging up your thread.

I hear you. Pa. has a whole host of problem all their own. Once there is no title for a car you are doomed. Other states let it be placed in a bonded title that usually reverts to the sole title after a number of years. Again good luck, sorry for clogging up your thread.
in the 80's there was an old guy out in Hickory who'd sign everyone's name and make open titles good... hi Dave :lol:

in the 80's there was an old guy out in Hickory who'd sign everyone's name and make open titles good... hi Dave :lol:
Hey Jeff! There was a bunch of them back in the day. Now it has gotten to where you, and the other person have to have your license scanned by a state issued scanner (that I'm sure is really, really inexpensive) just to make sure you do not have any outstanding citations, or money owed the state, or you cannot transfer the title until you are square with the state.
Heard from Stan lately?

Hey Jeff! There was a bunch of them back in the day. Now it has gotten to where you, and the other person have to have your license scanned by a state issued scanner (that I'm sure is really, really inexpensive) just to make sure you do not have any outstanding citations, or money owed the state, or you cannot transfer the title until you are square with the state.

When New York State implemented its online system for doing the annual inspection, there were stories of mechanics entering the VIN and assorted data and getting a phone call from the NYS Troopers. They would ask if the owner of the car was still there and to try to delay it a little until someone got there. It would turn out that the car owner had a warrant for their arrest.

I haven't heard any stories like that lately. It may be that the criminals have heard the stories too....
Heard from Stan lately?
Yea, that....

Heard from Stan lately?

When New York State implemented its online system for doing the annual inspection, there were stories of mechanics entering the VIN and assorted data and getting a phone call from the NYS Troopers. They would ask if the owner of the car was still there and to try to delay it a little until someone got there. It would turn out that the car owner had a warrant for their arrest.

I haven't heard any stories like that lately. It may be that the criminals have heard the stories too....

Yea, that....
I haven't, but I hadn't tried to find him lately either... been wrapped up doing other things. Working on a computer all day takes some of the fun out of playing on one.

Back