Where was this '70 brochure photo shot?

330dTA

Reaction score
I always wondered, where was this 1970 New Yorker sales brochure photo shot at?
Anybody recognize the buildings in the background?

upload_2016-8-13_15-16-23.png

This was discussed a few years ago and if i remember correctly its Detroit. If so Matt probably knows the building

I was going to guess the Whitney (mansion turned restaurant) in Detroit, but I would have been wrong.

The+Whitney+(2).jpg

I notice the building in the brochure has a 1/2 below-ground floor. They aren't unheard of in this area, but not common. Most building have basements, but not many with those below grade courtyards. I think those are more of a NYC thing.

I was going to guess the Whitney (mansion turned restaurant) in Detroit, but I would have been wrong.

The+Whitney+(2).jpg

I notice the building in the brochure has a 1/2 below-ground floor. They aren't unheard of in this area, but not common. Most building have basements, but not many with those below grade courtyards. I think those arExcee more of a NYC thing.
Excellent guess but the windows are different.

There are two separate buildings in the background, I'm willing to bet on that. The plots being so close to one another it's fairly densely built part of town. Because it's so densely built, it's no suburb. But then there is the driveway and the hedge, so there is a band of greenery in front of all the houses along the street. Upscale housing at the time, no doubt. - I always thought it might be somewhere from uptown New York. Just would like to know for sure.

There are two separate buildings in the background, I'm willing to bet on that. The plots being so close to one another it's fairly densely built part of town. Because it's so densely built, it's no suburb.

The good and bad part of Detroit is that it isn't very dense. It's a very horizontal city with (comparatively) few apartments. Most housing is single family. This is what makes re-development so hard to accomplish until entire blocks, or even neighborhoods fall into ruin.

Looks like the back lot at Paramount Pictures to me. "New York" street.

My memory is fairly strong that matt know's this building and it's in Detroit. I can't find the thread though ... which probably spun off to this discussion vs being specifically about it like this one.

i learned this as "greystone" archtecture too ...its limestone rock.

hmm..i do not recognize this. sorry. a commercial building next to what might have been a single family residence. only places like that would have been downtown Detroit (within 2-3 miles of Detroit River).

But (1) by 1970's area may have been razed/rundown and (2) as was noted that "walkup" style of right side building was not that common here in after 1900.

if its Detroit, I'd be pleasantly surprised :)

Last edited:
I'm probably remembering wrong. Thanks for checking in blue

And I don't think that walk up style was built much of anywhere after the 1900's

And I don't think that walk up style was built much of anywhere after the 1900's

yeah none built after 1900..i meant that in Detroit what would have been built was razed/built over given how fast Detroit grew 1900 to 1950.

Back