10 years in the making, the conclusion to my post 1965 Monaco

The day that I didn't think would ever come has finally arrived. After 10 years of ownership I finally have the car I always envisioned. The bumpers came 2 weeks ago and they are now on the car. Every time I look at her I can't believe she is done. I have 1 thing left to do. I picked up a console top plate at the Hershey antique show in September. Best $10 I ever spent. I had it rechromed, it came Wednesday. Put new woodgrain on it today. I just have to put it in the car.

View attachment 632796

View attachment 632797

View attachment 632798

View attachment 632799

View attachment 632800

View attachment 632801

View attachment 632802

View attachment 632803

View attachment 632804
Looks beautiful!! Congratulations and great job!!

Very impressive. I also own a 65 Monaco coupe. Curious if you rechromed the trunk trim? The large panel across the back that continues around the tail lights.

View attachment 634011

View attachment 634012
I didn't rechrome the truck finish panel. Only the bumpers have been rechromed. The rest of the exterior trim was cleaned up with dawn dish soap and quad zero steel wool and reinstalled.

That rechrome is kickin', where was it done? My 65 is on the road, a few minor problems. Mostly getting air cleaners to clear the hood because of the 512 ci max-wedge engine I installed. Does anyone know how big of tires will clear the fender wells without suspension modificatons? I currently have 7" chrome mag wheels, but was thinking about a 9 or 10 inch wheel with 10 inch tires on the rear.
The bumpers were done at Northstar Plating in Brainerd, Minnesota. As for wheels and tires. I have 225/55/17 on a 7" rim on the front and 255/55/17 on an 8" rim on the back. They have been on the car for years and I have never had a problem with them rubbing or hitting. The key is to get wheels with zero offset. You have to jack up the car under the front spring perch in order to get the rears off and on.

Are you happy with your bumper replating job?
I am happy.......to a point. The bumpers had 55 years of wear and tear and dents. They are now straight and dent free. However, they were shipped 1500 miles wrapped only in shipping paper and sent common carrier. There is no telling how many people handled them or how many trucks they were on and off of. They aren't perfect and I debated sending them back. Due to how they were shipped I decided to keep them rather than take the chance of having them come back in worse condition than they are now.

The interior is magnificent!
Thank you. I had the seats done by a local upholstery shop. Legendary doesn't have a kit for this car.I told them what I wanted and picked out the material, which is now leather. They had them done in 3 weeks. The console I redid myself. I used the old carpet off the sides to make patterns for the new carpet. Then I cover the console lid and extension with marine grade leather.

Back