For Sale 1957 Chrysler New Yorker for Sale 2 Door Hardtop

Status
Not open for further replies.

hergfest

Reaction score
Contact seller
Ad keeps falling off after 30 days so here we go again.
1957 Chrysler New Yorker for sale. Has the original 392 hemi that fires over. The interior had old man plastic seat covers on seats so the interior survived remarkably well. Dry Colorado car. Price $10,999. Located in Tumwater, WA.

nyer3.jpg

nyer2.jpg

nyer1.jpg

Looks almost complete. Would be a great project car. Probably needs an engine refresh.

Even my amateur eyes could tell you this would be a long-term restoration project for someone with deep pockets, and I doubt that someone will drop $11K for this "starter."

Still, if as much of it is there as the few photos imply, it may indeed be pretty complete; and when's the last time you saw a '57 New Yorker?

What do you think its worth then? I can't find any other New Yorker projects out there for comparison. Obviously I started too high on my price cause it hasn't sold yet. I know a couple of the convertibles went nuts (thanks Mike), the hardtops seem to be in the $30-40k range, if you can find one for sale. I think this one is a good value due to the interior being decent, the exterior not an east coast rust bucket, and the 392 Hemi being a runner. Even the eyebrows above the headlights are solid. And if someone is into the Patina you don't even have to paint it. That was my plan, get it running and driving with the current cosmetics. Of course being in the middle of the new black plague doesn't help. More pics from the craigslist ad:
1957 Chrysler New Yorker 2 Door Hardtop 392 Hemi Dry Price Lowered!!...

What do you think its worth then? I can't find any other New Yorker projects out there for comparison. Obviously I started too high on my price cause it hasn't sold yet. I know a couple of the convertibles went nuts (thanks Mike), the hardtops seem to be in the $30-40k range, if you can find one for sale. I think this one is a good value due to the interior being decent, the exterior not an east coast rust bucket, and the 392 Hemi being a runner. Even the eyebrows above the headlights are solid. And if someone is into the Patina you don't even have to paint it. That was my plan, get it running and driving with the current cosmetics. Of course being in the middle of the new black plague doesn't help. More pics from the craigslist ad:
1957 Chrysler New Yorker 2 Door Hardtop 392 Hemi Dry Price Lowered!!...

very difficult to price.
Forwardlook cars are very hard to restore and expensive. Despite the general patina hype most people prefer a decent car. Therefore Keep their Hands off.
You will know when the pricing gets right. Swedes will contact you who are deeply into Forwardlookers and do many restorations no matter if keeping the patina or a full resto.

Carsten

I have friends in Sweden who buy these cars. They haven't bit on this yet. Due to price. The U.S.A. dollar is strong against the Swedish Kroner. Cool car!

Oh boy.In their day The Forward Look cars were a sensation but the build quality and severe rust issues meant few survive.A 2 door New Yorker is extremely rare.If it was an AC car i think their would be more interest but the rust is so expensive to fix on these.The running joke was they rusted on the delivery rig to the dealers.I,m a real lover of 57 to 59 letter series.Beautiful brutes.B.B

But that's the beautiful thing about this car. It doesn't have all of the typical 57 rust. The eyebrows and the rear window all have zero rust.

I think this is more about the buyer than the car. I would say the buyers of these are somewhat rare but not as much as the car.
Its on par price wise with a plane jane 68 camaro in the same condition. But a lot of people buy plain *** camaro projects.
For somebody paying for a resto, if you compare this car to one that is much more presentable with some shine still on the paint and a complete interior that looks nice other than rotting stitching in the corners.
The restoration cost is the same.
The money is spent repairing damaged and rusted metal and chasing missing trim.
My math says your at 35k by the time this car is through body and paint, interior and mechanical.
I don't think you would get one for less if you had 35k burning a hole in your pocket.

The owner may need to knock off 3500 to be priced right but I don't know that you would feel much relief at the end.
You certainly can't save any money buying a shitty one at half the price. It will cost you half again more than this one.

One thing I've learned, is craigs is not the place to sell. It's day has came and went.

This would be a great start for a custom car or resto mod. I would consider posting in L.A. where much more cars are built.

When I was a teenager a freind of mines uncle had one of these parked in his pasture it was near perfect and looked like you could drive it across country. He picked it up as trading material. It wasn't worth much money because it wasn't a 57 chevy. A 210 two door sedan was worth more.
Nowadays I would say they are probably comparable in all conditions.

I disagree.

The buyers are relativly rare but the car is, too.
Big rear window Chrysler&Desotos (Chrysler 300, New Yorker/Desoto Adventurer/Fireflie) are the top of the line models.

You can't compare it to any mass production car.

But it explains the difficulty, too.
Parts are extremly hard to find way harder than for any regular C-Body from the 60s/70s. Therefor the restoration costs are way higher, too.

That is what people takes off IMHO including myself.
Even buying smaller parts is a pita. Buying a correct waterpump replacement for a 341ci Hemi in a 57 Fireflite can cost you easily 500$ in example. If you have a C-Body you can buy every waterpump still for a handfull of bucks.

Carsten

really like this car. too big a project for me. If i was 20 years younger, i'd try really hard for it.

but if i ever lost that rear glass i'd be in tears tho - both over the loss and dreading the search for another. :)

my only price comment is my standard one... it will find a market price fair to seller and buyer. Whatever that is.

all the best with it hergfest! thanks for saving it.

I think this is more about the buyer than the car. I would say the buyers of these are somewhat rare but not as much as the car.
Its on par price wise with a plane jane 68 camaro in the same condition. But a lot of people buy plain *** camaro projects.
For somebody paying for a resto, if you compare this car to one that is much more presentable with some shine still on the paint and a complete interior that looks nice other than rotting stitching in the corners.
The restoration cost is the same.
The money is spent repairing damaged and rusted metal and chasing missing trim.
My math says your at 35k by the time this car is through body and paint, interior and mechanical.
I don't think you would get one for less if you had 35k burning a hole in your pocket.

The owner may need to knock off 3500 to be priced right but I don't know that you would feel much relief at the end.
You certainly can't save any money buying a shitty one at half the price. It will cost you half again more than this one.

One thing I've learned, is craigs is not the place to sell. It's day has came and went.

This would be a great start for a custom car or resto mod. I would consider posting in L.A. where much more cars are built.

When I was a teenager a freind of mines uncle had one of these parked in his pasture it was near perfect and looked like you could drive it across country. He picked it up as trading material. It wasn't worth much money because it wasn't a 57 chevy. A 210 two door sedan was worth more.
Nowadays I would say they are probably comparable in all conditions.

Comparing restoring a '68 Camaro to a "58 New Yorker is like comparing apples to oranges. The custom route you suggested would be a way to keep costs somewhat down. This car should be restored though, it's so nice!

Seems some are misunderstanding my basic point of view.
First the car can be compared to any other car. There are no rules, only differences.
It can be compared to a model T ford or a 65 mustang.

The point is, when comparing it to a run of the mill mid level car such as a 1969 chevy camaro with a 350/th350.

Here is what is happening on this site.

There is a fairly rare up market Chrysler for sale.
If people can agree on that.

The site this discussion is hosted on, is a special interest site for fans and owners of these particular types of cars.

The overall consensus on this individual car, is that its over priced. By an amount, that the special interest group has not offered up.

The punch line here is. ding ding ding. That project plane jane camaros sell for this kind of money all the time. They literally made a quarter million of them.
You can actually build a 69 camaro from entirely aftermarket parts starting with no original car.

A camaro of comparablle rarity if there even is such a thing, would be twice this price.

This is an unusual site, more so than any other, the members are happy to tell what you should do with your car , what its worth, and what the factory intended you to do with it.

This is my perception anyway.

About 15 years ago I was on a truck site where a man was literally irate because trucks of the brand and parts were being sold for scrap and crushed.

When face with the statement that the people that had identified themselves as the fans and collectors of said trucks should buy them and save them.
He was insistent that they were not worth that kind of money. So the scrap yard should pay less per pound?

It's a strange concept to me.

This winter I have been into the Cold War motors channel and therefore have been pitched several other Canadian channels and was surprised to learn that they are still baling cars in mass up there. Maybe not still, maybe now its worth it where as it was previously not.
Hard to believe you can't get more than recycle value

On the other hand at least it didn,t sit outside for 40 years,but,oh it would just be a frame of a car by then.But it looks like all the parts are there.Yeah,maybe sourcing replacement glass 1st would help.heh.I would rather have the New Yorker than the chevy.Nothing against chevy,prefer the 55,but the shape of the 2door is excellent.B.B

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back