1957 Imperial

Yes Steve. I think you and I talked about Gary doing Gary Carpenters '57C while he waz still in SoCal. Many Happy Trails between then and now. I Hurt and Pray for Our Friend often now, Jer

Yes, Jer, Gary did do Richard Carpenter's 300C and a lot of his other cars in his "Yesterday Once More" car collection. And Gary is still in my nighly prayers too. He is just one of the nicest, most humble and fun guys I have known. I was able to talk with both Richard and Karen Carpenter when at various car shows back in those early days here in Southern California (they lived with their parents in Downey). My mom was still alive then too, and she and their mother always talked a lot when my parents attended car shows along with me from time to time. I never suspected that Karen would have ended up as she did. Just trajic. Richard seemed much more aloof though while she was very down to earth. That was a long time ago......................

Downey. George Barris's shop USED to be on Atlantic I think just south of Whitter Blvd ah couple blocks, way back when. As did Ak Millers shop USED to be on Whittier Blvd. just east of where the 605 cuts down thru' there now ah bit west of Workman Mill. My 'ole Stomping grounds and cruise area was from Stan's Drive In on the corner of Atlantic and Whittier east to "The Hut Drive In" right crossed the street from AK Millers place and then on farther into East Whitter almost to La Habra where we'd congregate at Nixon's Drive in. It was constant loops stopping at all 3 drive in's each loop each way when .50 cents worth of gas would do you 'til all the Drive Ins were closed, lol .. Sorry for the memory trip Steve. When you mentioned Downey and your association with the Carpenter Family and that town I went into Comatose over drive for ah bit. Needless to say that territory was my stomping grounds from the earley '50s 'til 62 when I went on Vacation to Michigan and only returned for several visits into the mid 2000s. But everything's gone 'cept for ah 'Lil taco joint just behind the Montebello park on Whittier Blvd. That family Nailed stools on the Side walk back in the '40 for you to sit on while you gorged yourself on red or green chili, beef 'n Cheese, Burritos. Still there the last time I checked 'bout 4 years ago with my kid brother in Cypress. I keep trying to figure out a way to have half a gross of 'um shipped back to me. lol. Later Steve, Jer

Yeah, Santa Fe Springs wasn't that far away either where Chrysler had its California Emission Test Facility on the grounds of the Nu Car Prep facility back in the day. It was a huge place. Now, as you say, everything has changed and I don't like going down there anymore because I liked it they way it was when I spent a lot of time in the area. Lots of taco stands that had really good food, as you say. Virtually all of them are gone now. We had good lives back then!

Steve

I'm LMAO in agreement Steve. Some of my early yearz we lived in Long Beach, before moving to Whittier. I used to climb the old wooden oil derricks(in the dark) and catch squabs and sell 'um to a local market on Magnolia & 32nd st. for .50 ah piece. Ride the Street car all the way down American ave. to the Pike for ah Dime, lol .. Good Kid memories. The Ford Plant in Pico-Rivera still crankin' 'um out? I waz ah short time Factory Rat there twice in the late '50s after my stint with the Corps, but after the 2nd 87 day trip and out the back door they never got a 3rd shot at me(I waz ah slow learner only one time) Never got into the Shelby Works when I lived in Whitter, 'Ole Shell wasn't there yet. I'm gonna back out and away now before we get Andrew really crabby for stealin' hiz thread. Sorry Andrew, I'm an Crusty Old Fart and sometimez my Memory Bankz just get on fire, Jer

I'm LMAO in agreement Steve. Some of my early yearz we lived in Long Beach, before moving to Whittier. I used to climb the old wooden oil derricks(in the dark) and catch squabs and sell 'um to a local market on Magnolia & 32nd st. for .50 ah piece. Ride the Street car all the way down American ave. to the Pike for ah Dime, lol .. Good Kid memories. The Ford Plant in Pico-Rivera still crankin' 'um out? I waz ah short time Factory Rat there twice in the late '50s after my stint with the Corps, but after the 2nd 87 day trip and out the back door they never got a 3rd shot at me(I waz ah slow learner only one time) Never got into the Shelby Works when I lived in Whitter, 'Ole Shell wasn't there yet. I'm gonna back out and away now before we get Andrew really crabby for stealin' hiz thread. Sorry Andrew, I'm an Crusty Old Fart and sometimez my Memory Bankz just get on fire, Jer

Jer, those memories are nice to read.

Jer, those memories are nice to read.
Thankz for saying so ImpJay. I'll turn 80 this coming Memorial Day weekend and I can say I've lived all of it well. At this point in my life I look back at he bed when I get up every morning and if I don't see me still layin' there, I jump straight up, do ah 180* and head for the coffee pot 'cuz it'z ah great day. Jer

Back