NOT MINE 1960 300F on eBay is a Scam!

Big_John

Illegitimi non carborundum
FCBO Gold Member
Reaction score
Per one of the 300 club members, this car belongs to someone else and is not for sale. Pics were lifted from an old sale on BAT.

Scam listing! Nice car though!

1960 Chrysler 300F | eBay
1715369525683.png

this kinda crap really chaps my a** about ebay.

how can a scam get 16 bids already? ebay gotta be gettin' on 30 years by now. simply means they have seen a lotta scams, prevented a lot, & prosecuted lawbreakers.

15 years ago somebody put one of my cars on ebay about two months after it sold in eBay (second chance offer). i called buyer and he was dumbfounded and we both told ebay together it was a scam.

they said "thanks" but it still ran til the end. somebody "won" it, and then we (me and legit buyer) never heard from Ebay again on it.

guy i sold to still has the car .. keeps in touch (sends pics, loves the car,) once/twice a year, ready to retire (a second time, cuz he hit 75 and health failing a bit) and pass car to his now adult son (kid was in ninth grade 15 years ago)

anyway, i am sure Ebay is reputable. they still have goofy rules, fees too high, etc., but 15 years later, however, how they "vet" sellers still has some holes it seems.

scammers are more sophisticated, so too must e-tail operators gets better at stopping/catching these irregularities. :confused:

right call apparently. good on them.

they still dont require VINS from pre 17- digit era, so that may make it harder run accurate algorithms/database "scrapes", etc., , or whatever they use .. to tru to stop fraudulent ads before they even get on.

or, they investigate reports of potential scams more quickly ... tough with billions of ads running all the time i guess.

:thankyou:

right call apparently. good on them.

they still dont require VINS from pre 17- digit era, so that may make it harder run accurate algorithms/database "scrapes", etc., , or whatever they use .. to tru to stop fraudulent ads before they even get on.

or, they investigate reports of potential scams more quickly ... tough with billions of ads running all the time i guess.

:thankyou:
Yes, good for them. Maybe eBay has seen the light.

Scams are getting out of hand. It used to be that you could pick them out pretty easily, but the crooks are getting more savvy every day.

Ridiculous amount of scams on all platforms this year.
Fakebook is really overrun with fakes and scams.

Ridiculous amount of scams on all platforms this year.
Fakebook is really overrun with fakes and scams.
I think it's going to get worse before it gets better... If it ever gets better that is.

There's been issues with counterfeit replacement parts for a while now and I've read of GM and Ford guys running into "NOS" restoration parts that are actually new parts in old boxes... or old appearing boxes. I can't help but think that the Mopar stuff is next if it's not already happening.

I think it's going to get worse before it gets better... If it ever gets better that is.

There's been issues with counterfeit replacement parts for a while now and I've read of GM and Ford guys running into "NOS" restoration parts that are actually new parts in old boxes... or old appearing boxes. I can't help but think that the Mopar stuff is next if it's not already happening.
I agree. I see on feeBay guys selling JUST THE BOX! I'm pretty sure an "NOS" switch is going into it.

And "Time Waster" (AKA Facebook) has gotten to be a scammers mecca, with little to no oversight.

Hmmm... Looks like eBay took the ad down.

Really? About time. I flagged another sale where the pictures were lifted off of BAT. They replied that they saw nothing amiss. I replied you must be blind not to see the obvious. What made it obvious was the fact that it was a buy it now and the price was 1/4 what it sold for on BAT.

Really? About time. I flagged another sale where the pictures were lifted off of BAT. They replied that they saw nothing amiss. I replied you must be blind not to see the obvious. What made it obvious was the fact that it was a buy it now and the price was 1/4 what it sold for on BAT.
BaT ain't much better, if you do a serious search around for their legal issues you will find quite a few cases, mostly street online chatter but none the less mainly in the claimed mileage of a car. Same with Mecum as the AD's all pretty much put up a disclaimer about mileage now as versus a actual mileage claim. Don't take much for someone that has the money for a car that's 10 of thousands of dollars to get it home and have a <ahem> expert + aggressive lawyer to give them some grief to get their money back.

Back