1962-64 Body Plate Decoder

Torky

Reaction score
Newbie here asking for help in developing a Body Plate/VIN Tag decoder for 1962-1964 Chryslers and Imperials. I have the 1963-64 part working pretty well but am struggling with the 1962 section, especially the Imperial section. My request: Pictures of the Body Data Plate and a corresponding list of the options/equipment actually on the car. The VIN is not needed for the decoder but serves to complete the reports.The decoder will be widely available. I anyone has already trod this road, please advise. An example showing the report for our '64 300K rag is attached. Longer range, I see this decoder can be modified to cover thefull range of 1960-1965 Chryslers and Imperials--with your help.

64 300K Conv. Barber.JPG

In some years of the Chrysler Parts Manual, the front "INFO" section will have a graphic of the data plate and what each space is supposed to have in it.

Parts manuals can be free-downloaded at www.mymopar.com . www.jholst.net has some similar information, too. www.hamtramck-historical has information regarding option code numbers, including Imperial-specific data books and such in the "Library" section, just not for 1962.

I would suspect that as similar as the 1962 and 1963 Imperials were, the 1963 option codes could have been the same as the 1962 option codes.

Enjoy!
CBODY67

Thanks for your prompt response. The '60-'65 Parts Manuals, anyway, always show great detail of VIN tags but I have never seen anything about codes on the Body Data Plates/Fender Tags. 1963 & 1964 Chrysler and Imperial body codes are quite similar but 1962 is different regarding the options line, order codes and placement. Detective work underway requires more data.

The reason I included the www.jholst.net website was that that website's orientation is toward the Letter Cars, although much of it can also relate to normal Chryslers of the 1955-1965 era.

I did notice that the main ID plate in the '62 parts book was the VIN plate on the lh frt door opening pillar, whereas the '65 manuals also included the underhood data plate. Back then, I would suspect the main orientation was for VIN ID, rather than an earlier version of the Data Plate, after the vehicle left the assy plant. With possibly Letter Car owners wanting more specific information on their cars and what they were optioned with. ALTHOUGH, using the information in the Order Guides at www.hamtramck-historical.com can provide the option codes and what they represent, for Imperials of 1962.

Might the Online Imperial Club have any information in this area? Location of other "body plates" and such?

Enjoy!
CBODYT67

The reason I included the www.jholst.net website was that that website's orientation is toward the Letter Cars, although much of it can also relate to normal Chryslers of the 1955-1965 era.

I did notice that the main ID plate in the '62 parts book was the VIN plate on the lh frt door opening pillar, whereas the '65 manuals also included the underhood data plate. Back then, I would suspect the main orientation was for VIN ID, rather than an earlier version of the Data Plate, after the vehicle left the assy plant. With possibly Letter Car owners wanting more specific information on their cars and what they were optioned with. ALTHOUGH, using the information in the Order Guides at www.hamtramck-historical.com can provide the option codes and what they represent, for Imperials of 1962.

Might the Online Imperial Club have any information in this area? Location of other "body plates" and such?

Enjoy!
CBODYT67
You got it. John Holst is a close personal friend and the immediate past Webmaster for our www.chrysler300clubinc.com We grew up in the same neighborhood in NW Des Moines, IA. Medical challenges have slowed him and Marilyn down. His personal website has a plethora of information on Chryslers and is focused on the beautiful 300K his father purchased new in Des Moines.

I have noticed that the location of Imperial Body Data Plates varies by year and body style. 1965 MoPar plates were pretty much the same across the board and the correlations of Order Codes and Body Data Plate entries is well defined. The newer the tags, the more information they contain--good for the edification of current and future owners.

I'm trying to shed light on the Body Data Plates of yore while encouraging others to more fully understand the components and process from order book to delivery.

Have a great week.

Torky

62 imp conv.JPG

62 Imp conv LH door.jpg

You got it. John Holst is a close personal friend and the immediate past Webmaster for our www.chrysler300clubinc.com We grew up in the same neighborhood in NW Des Moines, IA. Medical challenges have slowed him and Marilyn down. His personal website has a plethora of information on Chryslers and is focused on the beautiful 300K his father purchased new in Des Moines.

I have noticed that the location of Imperial Body Data Plates varies by year and body style. 1965 MoPar plates were pretty much the same across the board and the correlations of Order Codes and Body Data Plate entries is well defined. The newer the tags, the more information they contain--good for the edification of current and future owners.

I'm trying to shed light on the Body Data Plates of yore while encouraging others to more fully understand the components and process from order book to delivery.

Have a great week.

Torky

View attachment 607589

View attachment 607592
The webmeister of www.jholst.net , my good friend John Holst, Passed away 10/25 a week after he rolled his Jeep near his home in northern Iowa. His work will live on at his website and will be absorbed into www.chrysler300clubinc.com His favorite ride was his dad's '64 300K.

The webmeister of www.jholst.net , my good friend John Holst, Passed away 10/25 a week after he rolled his Jeep near his home in northern Iowa. His work will live on at his website and will be absorbed into www.chrysler300clubinc.com His favorite ride was his dad's '64 300K.
Sorry for the loss of your friend.

When I read the news the other day, I thought that it would be a shame if his website went away. Glad to see it will carry on.

Back