1962 Chrysler Newport shot in the dark

AngelCalderon

Reaction score
Hey guys I was wondering if anyone has put a newer Dodge Charger engine in a 1962 Chrysler Newport with the push button transmission. Most importantly does any one have suggestions of what engine bolts up to the 727 I just want some more power and I’m willing to listen and learn from any advice. The car has a 361 in it. Thank you

Any 383, 400, 413, 426, or 440 will bolt up to that 727. My personal favorite is the 361, though. Your 62 is my favorite year.

There are a few threads on putting Gen III Hemis in 1960s C-bodies, usually 1966-'68 or so. You can get some pointers from that, possibly.

In particular, the thread of putting a normal Gen III Hemi in a '67 Fury III. A main issue is the radiator from the Gen III cars not having a radiator with a filler cap on them, but a pressurized coolant recovery tank with the pressure cap there.

IF you want more power, then a stroker 383 might be best and easiest to do. Then upgrade the frictions in the existing TF and you're done, most likely. Add a Holley Sniper EFI and appropriate electronic ignition (Sniper controlled), plus the needed fuel system upgrades, and you're fully "up to date", too.

Enjoy!
CBODY67

A stock 440 would be the easiest with very little mods for the most power gain. If you are just looking for more power for the street that's the way I would go. 383's are most likely more plentiful and less expensive and would be my next choice. If the 361 runs well, you could upgrade with better heads, manifold and carb. along with duals for more power. I would only go that way if you were looking to keep the original engine. Stokers, gen II hemis and EFI are nice, but you are looking at more money and more work.

Thank you guys I really appreciate it I’m new to the classic car just got it 4 years ago and am still learning ,you all were a great help

Hey guys I was wondering if anyone has put a newer Dodge Charger engine in a 1962 Chrysler Newport with the push button transmission. Most importantly does any one have suggestions of what engine bolts up to the 727 I just want some more power and I’m willing to listen and learn from any advice. The car has a 361 in it. Thank you
The 3rd gen hemi uses a small block 727, if you go that route. Other options too.

The 3rd gen hemi uses a small block 727, if you go that route. Other options too.
its my understanding if you use the small block 727 you wont be able to use the trans push buttons and have to install another type of shift set up.
but i have heard that there might be an adapter kit to make the push buttons compatible tho...... others will have more info

its my understanding if you use the small block 727 you wont be able to use the trans push buttons and have to install another type of shift set up.
but i have heard that there might be an adapter kit to make the push buttons compatible tho...... others will have more info
I don't know the factual nature of this, but the assumption would be that all small blocks of the era had 904's. And, while it's certainly true that a 727 would be desired if there is any kind of horsepower involved, I cannot imagine why you couldn't put an early 904 behind the third gen hemi. This is all just the cogs slipping into place in my head and there's potential it doesn't match reality. Personally, though, I'd never give up those push buttons. And I would love to hear somebody that knows for sure correct me on this one.

I don't know the factual nature of this, but the assumption would be that all small blocks of the era had 904's. And, while it's certainly true that a 727 would be desired if there is any kind of horsepower involved, I cannot imagine why you couldn't put an early 904 behind the third gen hemi. This is all just the cogs slipping into place in my head and there's potential it doesn't match reality. Personally, though, I'd never give up those push buttons. And I would love to hear somebody that knows for sure correct me on this one.
Could have/should have googled before I posted but didn't. There were 727's behind polyhead 318's of this era. They would have linkage that worked with the pushbutton and have the small block bolt pattern.

Could have/should have googled before I posted but didn't. There were 727's behind polyhead 318's of this era. They would have linkage that worked with the pushbutton and have the small block bolt pattern.
My 67 belvedere came with a 318, and a 727, it had ac, and the 26 inch opening for the radiator, 8.75 third member. 4 door silver special.

Roger that!
My understanding is that '65 was the transition year. 64's have the push button or console shift and then '65 had column or console shift. But '65 still had the cable shifter. I had a '65 Belvedere which originally had a polyhead but was replaced with an LA at some point. It still had the original cable shift transmission and column shift, but I do believe it was a 904. I could be wrong. That was a lot of years ago.

Poly 318’s in B-bodies came factory with a cable shift 727 trans 1962-1965

How about a 65 fury 318? yes the same SB 727 cable shift.

1966-1967 b-body 318 came with a 727, it was on 1968 318 they went light duty now a 904 was standard there.

1966-1967 b-body 273 came with a 904.

Last edited:
A '62 Chrysler 361 with an AFB makes 305 HP. My '59 Golden Commando Sport Suburban was 305 HP, had the Cast Iron TorqueFlite and 3.31 Sure Grip and was a blast to drive. Even though I gave away 300 or 400 pounds to who ever I was racing I still did pretty well. BAWAAAAAAAA nuthin' like the sweet sound of a 4 barrel carburetor exceptin' maybe TWO!

@AngelCalderon — got any photos of the car to share?

IMG_3379.jpeg

IMG_3381.jpeg

4138.jpeg

486.jpeg

I’m new to the classic car
^This^ is what we should consider when giving advice.

Going to the Gen III Hemi sounds great and everything, but it would be a large undertaking and really for someone that's already cut their teeth with other engine swaps. It will be a time consuming swap even under the best circumstances and it's not going to be a bolt-in swap. That's not even talking about expense...

So.... Let's get back to what would be a simple swap.

My suggestion is your basic big block Mopar... Be it a 440, 413, 400 or a 383. The 440 would be my first pic as the best bang for the buck, but you could be a little stealthy and choose a 400 with a stroker kit. Even going to a 383 with later heads (bigger valves) would make a lot of sense. That lets you keep the present transmission with its cool push buttons, use stock motor mounts and other bolt-ons from the existing 361.

Really the thing to ask yourself is "What do I want to do with the car?". After all the years and all the cars I've had, I find that cars that cause the least amount of stress are obviously the most fun. That means being able to buy gas anywhere and not worrying about overheating in traffic and such nonsense. When you start doing a lot of mods to make the car faster, often you give up things like gas mileage and drivability. I'll even say this... If your main focus is cruising and shows, think about sticking with the 361. Add duals, maybe a 4 bbl carb and things like that if you want.

BTW, nice car!

Back