1963 Imperial Headlight Switch/Back Up Light

RKC

Reaction score
1963 Imperial - two issues: The dome light does not come on with the headlight switch. The dome light works ok with rear doors and switch on the upper left side of driver's door. Service Manual says to remove the retainer in the back of the switch. I can't see/find any retainer.
Backup lights will not work. Bulbs are ok. Is there a wire in back of the reverse push button? How does it come on? Is there a wire at the transmission?
Thanks!

Your interior lights are working correctly. Retainer is a stamped piece of metal that protrudes upwards from the rear case of the headlight switch. You will have to exert substantial force and pull the headlight switch knob out and in and out to get it to release. Before you condemn the back up light switch, you might try a continuity test on the leads that go to the backup lights because if the leads are getting juice when the tranny is placed in reverse your problem is improperly grounded bulb sockets. NOTE: Disconnect battery before you try to remove headlight switch-but if all other functions of the HL switch are ok, you do not need a new one-it is working properly.

Your interior lights are working correctly. Retainer is a stamped piece of metal that protrudes upwards from the rear case of the headlight switch. You will have to exert substantial force and pull the headlight switch knob out and in and out to get it to release. Before you condemn the back up light switch, you might try a continuity test on the leads that go to the backup lights because if the leads are getting juice when the tranny is placed in reverse your problem is improperly grounded bulb sockets. NOTE: Disconnect battery before you try to remove headlight switch-but if all other functions of the HL switch are ok, you do not need a new one-it is working properly.
I got the headlight switch out. Who works on those switches? I can't find the backup light switch. No power at the light bulb even with a direct ground from the battery, so it must be the switch.

1963 Imperial - two issues: The dome light does not come on with the headlight switch. The dome light works ok with rear doors and switch on the upper left side of driver's door. Service Manual says to remove the retainer in the back of the switch. I can't see/find any retainer.
Backup lights will not work. Bulbs are ok. Is there a wire in back of the reverse push button? How does it come on? Is there a wire at the transmission?
Thanks!
My parts book shows Dodge, Imperial same backup light switch. Should be on the shifter. I believe this is power in and power out to the lights, I would have to look at a wiring diagram to verify that, believe there is a fuse for backup lights chk that first.

20230126_204824.jpg
20230126_204819.jpg

Back