1964 Chrysler 300 Window Motor

Has anyone tried to 3D print this gear? Looks like it is a nylon gear attached to a metal hub. I don’t know if the 3D plastic would hold up. A friend’s grandson is in mechanical engineering grad school here at ASU and has his own 3D printer. I am going to talk to him and maybe press out the 9 spine gear and see if he can duplicate the 2” gear in plastic. Should be a fun project.
Chuck

Chuck
1A863268-A9AC-4B91-B9FB-E024119437AD.jpeg

Has anyone tried to 3D print this gear? Looks like it is a nylon gear attached to a metal hub. I don’t know if the 3D plastic would hold up. A friend’s grandson is in mechanical engineering grad school here at ASU and has his own 3D printer. I am going to talk to him and maybe press out the 9 spine gear and see if he can duplicate the 2” gear in plastic. Should be a fun project.
Chuck

ChuckView attachment 554626
The PLA plastic normally used by most hobby 3D printers isn't strong enough and has such a low melting point that even if it didn't fail on its own, a little time in the sun with the interior of the door getting hot, it's going to fail.

Up the food chain a bit is ABS. That gets a little harder for someone to print, but it's stronger with a higher melting point (which makes it harder to print). It might work, but I don't know if it will be strong enough.

Back