1964 Dodge Custom 880 vacuum locks

Corbin

Reaction score
I wish to add power (vacuum) locks to a 1964 Dodge Custom 880 wagon. I've acquired the actuators, and assumed (erroneously) that the provisions and their locations would be self evident. They are not, or I am blind. Would a member happen to have a disassembled door they could snap some pictures of showing the location and orientation? I'm gonna go out on a limb any full-size, hardtop, Dodge or Chrysler product from 1960 to 1964 would be similar. Thanks in advance. I'd also be interested in an accumulater (vacuum tank) for the same car. This mounts in the drivers side fender well.

There was a vacuum-actuated deck lid release option, but I was under the orientation that "power locks" in the 1960s were electric solenoids. Need to consult the parts book and Chrysler service manual, to see what is what, I guess. I suspect there would be illustrations, of the individual parts (parts bookl) and how to install/replace them (service manual)? Perhaps I'm incorrect of when Chrysler changed from vacuum to electric on these things?

It one respect, it should be reasonably easy to add electric power locks using readily-available "actuators" and wiring from the street rod vendors or adapting some late-model GM lock actuators (as in the later 1970s to 1980s before they started putting addtional switches/sensors in them). Using the Chrysler switches of choice to run them.

Just some thoughts,
CBODY67

The actuators are correct per my parts manual. FWIW my '64 Crown uses electric actuators for its power locks. So I'd guess by '65 or '66 Ma Mopar would have made them all electric. My preference is make the OEM system work rather than add in aftermarket parts. A bit of trivia...GM used vacuum actuators until at leas '68.

Looked ,in the parts book only shows it this way . No pics of the doors. This is the 63 book but 64 shows the same. TA3 is the parts code for 880,s

2021-02-24-230828.jpg

2021-02-24-231039.jpg

Last edited:
in 64 you could get power vacuum locks on 4 door chryslers but they were electric in imperials.
neither were available on dodge & plymouths.
i couldnt find a power lock door diagram in my 64 chrysler shop manual, only a manual lock set up sorry

in 64 you could get power vacuum locks on 4 door chryslers but they were electric in imperials.
neither were available on dodge & plymouths.
i couldnt find a power lock door diagram in my 64 chrysler shop manual, only a manual lock set up sorry

My 64 880 has them , if you look in the parts diagram TA3 denotes 880,s.

20210225_113843.jpg

Back