1965 Custom 880 Convertible

880 Guy

Reaction score
Hi all, I am new to the site. Just want to say thanks for the welcome! My name is Jim I own a 1965 Custom 880 Convertible. I have had it for five years now. It’s a long story how I acquired the vehicle which can be told another time, because it’s kind of cool.

Anyway, I have done a lot of mechanical work to the engine compartment which includes. New radiator, alternator, powe steering pump, fuel pump and lines, Hamburg carb rebuilt. 727 torque flight rebuilt, and new master cylinder with new wilwood front disc brakes and proportioning valve. Left the drums in rear to be replaced with wilwoods down the road. I also replaced brake lines and bled everything. Motor was professionally rebuilt to magnum specs. about 17 years ago. Vehicle was rarely driven while my buddy had it. He put about two hundred miles on it when the tranny went out lack of money and two kids stopped progress at that time. Fast forward to 17yrs later and it still has about 200 miles. After bleeding brakes, changing oil and gas I started it up back in September. Discovered that I barely had brakes and no brake lights. I think I have a leak at the line hook up to the valve that needs fixing.
What I need help with is my brake lights. No wires were chewed. Everything seems to be hooked up. There are wires from proportioning valve that I am guessing need to be hooked up somewhere. I just don’t know where. I bought a new brake light switch to install, yet not sure if I need it?
Does anyone have knowledge in regards to this issue? I would be very grateful!

Last edited:
Hi all, I am new to the site. Just want to say thanks for the welcome! My name is Jim I own a 1965 Custom 880 Convertible. I have had it for five years now. It’s a long story how I acquired the vehicle which can be told another time, because it’s kind of cool.

Anyway, I have done a lot of mechanical work to the engine compartment which includes. New radiator, alternator, powe steering pump, fuel pump and lines, Hamburg carb rebuilt. 727 torque flight rebuilt, and new master cylinder with new wilwood front disc brakes and proportioning valve. Left the drums in rear to be replaced with wilwoods down the road. I also replaced brake lines and bled everything. Motor was professionally rebuilt to magnum specs. about 17 years ago. Vehicle was rarely driven while my buddy had it. He put about two hundred miles on it when the tranny went out lack of money and two kids stopped progress at that time. Fast forward to 17yrs later and it still has about 200 miles. After bleeding brakes, changing oil and gas I started it up back in September. Discovered that I barely had brakes and no brake lights. I think I have a leak at the line hook up to the valve that needs fixing.
What I need help with is my brake lights. No wires were chewed. Everything seems to be hooked up. There are wires from proportioning valve that I am guessing need to be hooked up somewhere. I just don’t know where. I bought a new brake light switch to install, yet not sure if I need it?
Does anyone have knowledge in regards to this issue? I would be very grateful!
Welcome from Virginia!
www.mymopar.com has wiring diagrams and shop manuals that you can download

Hello from the bottom of the state! Make sure the sockets and housings are clean and not rusty, and have a good ground.

Back