1965 Sport Fury Restoration

Hi Guys,

I’m going to post some other parts of the build, but for now I’m going to jump ahead to something really exciting!!! For me anyhow, but I think some of you will relate.

Some of you may remember the first time you heard your engine running in your car with a full exhaust system on it. For me that’s been building through the years. It’s been 6 years since it was on the dyno and 5 years since I had it running on a run-stand.

I purchased this engine in 2008, took it to the machine shop in the winter of 2015/16 and told them there was NO HURRY. It needed to be bored .030 for the Ross Pistons and they needed to be installed onto the lightened (polished) rods. The steel crank needed to be cut .010 and .010 and balanced with the new pistons and rods. He was really surprised when he had to remove over a half a pound of metal to balance it. He told me with over a pound of reciprocating mass removed, it should rev quicker. He also checked the heads and shaved them a couple thousandths. He called the beginning of 2017 to let me know it was finished. I built it and had it on the dyno in July of 2017. If you’ve seen the pictures and videos in this thread or on my YouTube channel, you know I Changed the cam after the runs on the dyno and built a run-stand to break-in the new cam. It has at least 15 hours of run time (probably more) on this stand and only had a set of old headers bolted to it. Sure it sounded good, but how would it sound in the car with a full TTI exhaust??? You just don’t know until that day if it has “the sound” you want.

My wife and I traveled almost all summer (I’m a school teacher), and because of this I talked to a local shop that builds/repairs hot-rods and does many other automotive repairs and inspections. I had them install the American Autowire Highway 22 Plus wiring harness, Vintage Air, Dakota Digital gauge cluster with cruise and automatic lights. They also wired the Holley Sniper and completely ignition system. They started the engine on 8/29/23 and ran it through a heat cycle to make sure the electric fan would kick on and off a couple times at the proper set points. I stopped in after school because they told me it should be running by that time. This video is recording the first time I heard that engine running in the car and with a full exhaust system on it. Can you imagine how awesome this experience was with it sounding like this!!! It’s exactly what I wanted!!! It’s idling at 1000 rpm’s and the cam still sounds awesome. The cam is a Comp Cams camshaft XE268.
BTW: it has 450 HP and 530 TQ. It passes 500 before 3000 rpm’s. I know…… if I use all of that a lot, the Tremic isn’t going to survive, I’ll cross that bridge if/when it happens.

Sorry about the long post (if you’ve read this far?), I’m just sharing my experience and I think there’s many of you that can relate to this journey

Here’s the video that should’ve been in the last post, auto correct got me on that one ☹️☹️ That’s what I get for trying to hurry!

Back