1965 Sport Fury Tachometer

65fury

Reaction score
Can someone tell me the diameter of the tachometer in the center console? My SF didn’t have one when I got it and am looking to put one in it. Not worried about it being original since my car is a Frankenstein car just want something that will work and look nice but I don’t know what size will fit

3 1/4", mounted from the bottom. Edit - may be better off dropping in from the top, if your tach has a lip on the bezel . . .

Last edited:
I slid a Sun SuperTach II into the hole from the top. This was back in the 80's so I couldn't say if they are still made the same.

Can someone tell me the diameter of the tachometer in the center console? My SF didn’t have one when I got it and am looking to put one in it. Not worried about it being original since my car is a Frankenstein car just want something that will work and look nice but I don’t know what size will fit
Had two SF's and installed Sun Tach's in both. Don't understand the "install from the top" and "install from the bottom?" I took the top plate off the console and it was no big deal!

The factory tach mounts to the underside of the console plate. I took the blank plate out of my console plate and then slid the Sun Tach into the hole from the top of the plate.

badvert34w.jpg

Console tachs are a bit of an odd placement but sexy as he¬¬, only to be topped by hood tachs a la GTO.

The old Sun Super Tach II is by far my old time favorite, reasonably plentiful and affordable, that might have changed.

In a '64 "D body" with Wideblock 318, 4 speed, dual exhaust, 4.10 DANA 60, short wheelbase, 6" shorter than a mid '65 when they lengthened the "cab/axle" measurement for campers that were becoming increasingly popular.

You need the tach to keep track of revs descending long grades in lower gears, and also to know if you're lugging, also handy for shifts if you're pushing hard.

To me this is the ubiquitous tach.

P1040160.JPG

You can see my redline is set at a slightly more realistic 4000RPM rather than Badvert65 8000RPM but I'm guessing the needle is stuck there.

Nice old Sun gauges btw.

My favorite old gauges are now Sun and not SW like in the old days, Sun was too new then and SW considered the best, now just China poop.

My favorite oil pressure gauge is this old Sun 150 psi racing gauge I had to talk an old timer out of, he had it on display in his house and it took me a coupe years to get it. The rebuilt 318 gets 75psi on cold mornings and the last gauge was full of oil, about ready to start dripping on the carpet.

It's hooked up with copper tubing, the right way.

P1080290.JPG

And a Voltmeter, about 10 lights years away from the ammeter, which is always bypassed for me via a 10 gauge lead going from Alternator + to Battery + under the hood, usually passing in front of the radiator. This unstresses the ammeter in the dash from charging the battery, but it will still show draws like key on or lights off with engine off.

This is the tach that was in the red truck, now decommisioned and sitting with empty gas tank.

And a permanently installed old fashioned vacuum gauge plumbed from the manifold.

P1080289.JPG

Last edited:
This is what the 65 factory installed unit looks like. It goes in from the bottom side and needs a sending unit that mounts to the underside of the console.

100_9819.JPG

I sure wish someone repopped a tach with this original style face . . .

Here you go........

Single-unit tachometer for the console of 1964-65 Plymouth Satelite - Sport Fury; 1964-65 Dodge Coronet 500 - Monaco - Polara 500 and 1965 Chrysler 300

clear1x1.gif
Description
clear1x1.gif
clear1x1.gif
OEM Part Number
clear1x1.gif
clear1x1.gif
DBox_Border_Left_Top.gif
clear1x1.gif
DBox_Border_Right_Top.gif
clear1x1.gif
Modern, single-unit tachometer for the console of 1964-65 Plymouth Satelite - Sport Fury; 1964-65 Dodge Coronet 500 - Monaco - Polara 500 and 1965 Chrysler 300. Will replace an OE tach, and OE vacuum gauge, an aftermarket tach or a blank cover. While appearing correct on the outside, this tachometer has modern internal electronics which eliminate the need for the remote sending unit. Replaces original equipment p/n 2496979

Here you go........

Single-unit tachometer for the console of 1964-65 Plymouth Satelite - Sport Fury; 1964-65 Dodge Coronet 500 - Monaco - Polara 500 and 1965 Chrysler 300

clear1x1.gif
Description
clear1x1.gif
clear1x1.gif
OEM Part Number
clear1x1.gif
clear1x1.gif
DBox_Border_Left_Top.gif
clear1x1.gif
DBox_Border_Right_Top.gif
clear1x1.gif
Modern, single-unit tachometer for the console of 1964-65 Plymouth Satelite - Sport Fury; 1964-65 Dodge Coronet 500 - Monaco - Polara 500 and 1965 Chrysler 300. Will replace an OE tach, and OE vacuum gauge, an aftermarket tach or a blank cover. While appearing correct on the outside, this tachometer has modern internal electronics which eliminate the need for the remote sending unit. Replaces original equipment p/n 2496979
Appear correct on the outside? NOT..........Thanks for the effort though.

Appear correct on the outside? NOT..........Thanks for the effort though.
I didn't go the stock path, but before I decided to not go that way, I found this tach. I was looking for the updated internals most of all and the look was close enough for me. I ended up going with Dakota Digital. If they ever make a gauge cluster for a '65 SF I'll go back to a stock appearing dash.
This tach might be a great fit for someone that doesn't have one.

Classic Industries sells the same tach. I talked to them when they first came out. 8,000 rpm instead of the factory 6,000 with modern internals. $249 and most importantly no light in it. You are supposed to install a tach basically on the floor and once it gets dark you can't see it. There solution..... you could probably rig up some kind of light in it. That's what I want to do after I spend $249. I bought a $25 sun tach II.

I just got my Actron Bosch SP0F000020 Sport II 3-3/8" Tachometer (White Dial Face, Chrome Bezel) from Amazon. The price was $54.99 and it looks really good and fit really good too. I will need to figure a way to secure it in the hole. I am not ready to mount it yet anyway. The AC is just sitting in place, almost. It needs tweaking too.

20230902_154227.jpg

I just got my Actron Bosch SP0F000020 Sport II 3-3/8" Tachometer (White Dial Face, Chrome Bezel) from Amazon. The price was $54.99 and it looks really good and fit really good too. I will need to figure a way to secure it in the hole. I am not ready to mount it yet anyway. The AC is just sitting in place, almost. It needs tweaking too.

View attachment 614445
Mine has been "just sitting in the hole" for 33 years; not a problem! Sun tach, easy install!

Back