1965 Sports Fury - Rear Panel

Adding to the confusion, picture of a SF taken at a car show which was restored and originality maintained. Bumper filler silver/argent. Like everything else related to the 65, maybe no consistency. Mine is white and it staying white.

7812E35D-60FC-4A94-A581-1BA034DF60B4.jpeg

Perhaps white cars received white filler panels? All other colors received silver?

Yes, the side moldings aren't included in that.

I've had 2 F3 trunk panels that were like that, one I stripped and made a tidy profit on years ago, and hte 2nd one I still have that is still 1/2-stripped.
I just looked at it, and there are no tape edges or anything, the paint is 99% straight-edged to perfection - no average human being could've done it.

But based on the differences we are seeing on the front bumper fillers, too, I'm starting to think we must be seeing the results of running changes in production.
I don't think any of the 4 of us believes we are wrong, so it seems the only possible explanation?

Could the variations be due to the plant that the cars were built?
Could very well be the case. When I restored my car back in 1985, it was an original white car with a white bumper filler. I looked at a few 65's in junk yards and they were all Fury III except one. The Fury I, II, or III cars all had argent silver panels while the Sport Fury was body color. It was so long ago that I don't remember if it had been repainted. That is why I always believed there was a difference. I guess there is always something to confuse the issue. I know there were cars built that ended up getting the wrong build sheet and or received a part not included in the build so who can say......

I have three Fury III deck panels that say otherwise. If you have one it is because someone painted over a Sport Fury panel. Same with side moldings. I was hoping you were right though.
This has been a rather humorous conversation. The conversation started July 2nd with regard to the rear trunk panel, continued through November but having changed to a discussion of the front bumper filler panel which is physically about as from the rear panel as you get and nothing got resolved with certainty. I think we may have all become qualified to sit on the next Congressional Hearing.

Back