1965 Transmission what’s this part?

melvinew

Reaction score
I will start off by saying it’s a 1965 727 so it’s the push button style. Transmission runs and shifts great no noise nothing out of place. Today while I was replacing the O-ring on the housing that retains the speedometer gear I noticed a small piece of metal just behind the housing using a pair of needle nose pliers I was able to get it out without bending it more than it already was. It looks to be some sort of snap ring but I have no idea where it would have came from and why it was just hanging out in the tail shaft. I’ve had the tail shaft off of non-pushbutton 727 (1966+) and don’t recall there being any kind of ring like this that would be in the tail shaft. Does anyone have any idea where it would have came off from? See picture quarter is for size reference it looks like a servo Snap ring but no idea how that would be in a tail shaft!

B0F93902-FC88-44B7-92AA-84FB3B535FCF.jpeg

Hard to tell, there is a bearing between the speedo and governor that's held to the shaft with a snap ring on either side. Could be one of those?

Definitely looks like a snap ring. :wtf:
EEB1F97A-723E-4985-BA8C-39ABD8AFC4F6.jpeg
01DB15A7-6B39-4BFD-895D-0E2541948768.jpeg

Looks like an external type snap ring to me, based on the notch.

Since it's a '65, I think it's part of the rear pump which is in the tail housing. Your '66 up trans won't have a rear pump.

Looks like an external type snap ring to me, based on the notch.

Since it's a '65, I think it's part of the rear pump which is in the tail housing. Your '66 up trans won't have a rear pump.
yeah I've never had the tail shaft of a pre 1966. Heck for all I know it could have been lost in the tail shaft during a previous rebuild I dont know for history of the car. Just hoping someone had experience with the push button 727 and could for sure say what it was.

Based on the size it looks like the one(s) around the bearing on the shaft. It might be worth a look, I think you can pull the tail housing without too much trouble, if you have the right snap ring pliers.
Pg.71.jpg
Pg.72.jpg

Based on the size it looks like the one(s) around the bearing on the shaft. It might be worth a look, I think you can pull the tail housing without too much trouble, if you have the right snap ring pliers.View attachment 554481View attachment 554482
It's not that one. That snap ring is a lot beefier with different ends and looks like the one in the center of this pic.

1661533003818.png

If you open that ring and make it circle again, it’s a large diameter. If the trans works fine it may be extra parts.

how much have you run this trans? How many miles?

Pat Blais is well-known when it comes to Parts 727 especially hard to find pre-66 parts. I recently bought Parts off of him so I thought I would ask his opinion. He thinks its "Appears to be one of the 2 'double-wrap' ('Spiro-Lock') thin metal capture rings which secure the 'ribbed' boot/seal on the output shaft to seal the output shaft O.D. to the driveshaft yoke I.D.. In that short time frame (1965-66 ?) Chrysler had a small 'pee' hole in the sheet metal cup-seal at the rear of the yoke." Said he wouldn't be too concerned with it if it was one of them and not leaking out of the tail shaft. So thats good news. As far as how long I've had the car about three years I acquired it from a buddy of mine who had it for 15. I have been around the car that entire time never had any sort of transmission problems.

Back