1966 , 383 stock cam specs

Bryon Mason

Reaction score
does anyone know what the stock cam specs are on a 66 383 4bbl ? Currently having my engine rebuilt and I want to make sure i don't screw myself when it comes to the cam. Still running the 516 heads.

The '66 "Super Commando" 4BBL runs a cam with a lift of .431 intake and .443 exhaust lift which put out 325 hp with 256/260 duration.(32 degree overlap) You might be better served running the '68 roadrunner high performance 383 cam which will cost the same and give you a little better performance. .450 intake and .468 lift with 268/284 duration (46 degree overlap). This is the same camshaft used in the 440 Magnum/TNT/HP engines. You should install the heavier damper valve springs with this setup.

Dave

The closest aftermarket would be the Comp XE series and I can't even navigate their site to look for it. Lots of people have been happy just throwing the simple Summit cam in if you're on a budget. Summit Racing® Classic Camshafts SUM-6400
The only Lunati I would use is this one. Factory Performance Hydraulic Flat Tappet Cam - Chrysler 361-440 278/288
I runnin a Hughes 2330 w/ported 516 w/1.74 exhaust valve heads in mine and love it! Hughes take advantage of the large lobe area to produce higher lift cams for a given duration, this is what the Hughes 2328 sounds like in my Bro's car with 440source heads. First time out of the garage shakedown.
You'd be happy with any Hughes from the 1620 up to the 2226. Dave at Hughes is the man to talk to about that, but I'm sure he's say the same. Good Luck
Hughes Engines

Does the existing cam show wear? With the stock 516's there's no big reason to change cam.

Does the existing cam show wear? With the stock 516's there's no big reason to change cam.

He's doing a rebuild & it's his build & lookin for ideas w/o going overboard [ I think? ]. What's the problem with that?

Yes and he seems to want to stay near oem specs. If it's not worn then why not just use it again? Cams don't automatically need to be replaced just because you need to do rings or bearings or valve guides.

The closest aftermarket would be the Comp XE series and I can't even navigate their site to look for it. Lots of people have been happy just throwing the simple Summit cam in if you're on a budget. Summit Racing® Classic Camshafts SUM-6400
The only Lunati I would use is this one. Factory Performance Hydraulic Flat Tappet Cam - Chrysler 361-440 278/288
I runnin a Hughes 2330 w/ported 516 w/1.74 exhaust valve heads in mine and love it! Hughes take advantage of the large lobe area to produce higher lift cams for a given duration, this is what the Hughes 2328 sounds like in my Bro's car with 440source heads. First time out of the garage shakedown.
You'd be happy with any Hughes from the 1620 up to the 2226. Dave at Hughes is the man to talk to about that, but I'm sure he's say the same. Good Luck
Hughes Engines

Thank you Stubbs for posting those links, especially the Summit cam. That looks quite close to the old 2 barrel 383 cam numbers too, which is what I have and plan to build my RV 400 to. I also like closed chamber heads like the 516s I now run and some 915s I hope to soon obtain. You might be a good source of lore for me, especially next year.

Im wanting to bump the cam up a bit but not to the point where it causes the engine to stumble. Bottom emd power not top end power is what im looking for. I didn't want to underpower the car either

Im wanting to bump the cam up a bit but not to the point where it causes the engine to stumble. Bottom emd power not top end power is what im looking for. I didn't want to underpower the car either

You do know who Steve Dulcich is, don't you? When I was lookin to upgrade my cam he told me the following.
In looking at replacement cams, take your stock cams duration and add 10% to that. No more!
Also add no more than 0.50" to the stock lift when upgrading cams.
Keeping within these parameters, you will have one hot street motor that will run well with a stock converter!
I hope this helps in narrowing one down. Good Luck

Thank you Stubbs for posting those links, especially the Summit cam. That looks quite close to the old 2 barrel 383 cam numbers too, which is what I have and plan to build my RV 400 to. I also like closed chamber heads like the 516s I now run and some 915s I hope to soon obtain. You might be a good source of lore for me, especially next year.
Do your reviews and homework on it, there's lots of info & reviews, even videos of people using that cam to give you a idea on sound!

Yes and he seems to want to stay near oem specs. If it's not worn then why not just use it again? Cams don't automatically need to be replaced just because you need to do rings or bearings or valve guides.

Mopar cams weren't the greatest designs back in the day and still aren't, even today! There's lots of aftermarket companies that have built a better mousetrap. It's his build and he'll do what he wants, don't be so anal-retentive about it!

Man you codgers are a hoot - I suggest sticking with the stock cam here and headers in another thread and I'm wrong in both places!
I can guarantee you I'm on the low end of the blood psi scale for members here :)

Back