1966 Chrysler "Color swoop"

darth_linux

Reaction score
So on 1966 Chrysler models, there was the "color swoop" option, also described in the dealer brochure as "double-tracked aluminum body side molding with optional paint insert." Was BLACK the only color for this, as I've only seen a couple of cars with this option, and both had the black swoop between the moldings.

Just curious mostly . . .

thanks!

Last edited:
If I understand what you are asking about, my 66 plymouth had a flat white in the flat between the side ridges on the side moulding.

If I understand what you are asking about, my 66 plymouth had a flat white in the flat between the side ridges on the side moulding.
Sorry, I wasn't clear. Was reference 1966 Chrysler models. I edited original post for clarity. Thanks for your response. What is the main color of your Plymouth?

In researching the various items at www.hamtramck-historical.com, it appears that "Color Sweeps" were only on Newports and T&C Wagons. Being standard on the wagons.

On normal Newports, the Color Sweep was not on convertibles, but other body styles. It could be paired with the Two-Tone Paint option or available separately. In either Black or White, if separate or with a black or white top on two-tone cars.

Had to get into the "Confidential Salesman's Price List" and "Option Codes and
Confidential Pricing" items to find these things.

Only on Newports? The configuration of the side chrome trim was conducive to the Color Sweep. Seems that some Newports had a separate end piece of Chrome to end the color sweep's area at the rear? Was this only on non-Town Sedans or others with the f/r bumper reveal moldings? I don't recall, but remember seeing some that way. Might need to get into the '66 Chrysler Parts Book for more research?

Happy Holidays!
CBODY67

In researching the various items at www.hamtramck-historical.com, it appears that "Color Sweeps" were only on Newports and T&C Wagons. Being standard on the wagons.

On normal Newports, the Color Sweep was not on convertibles, but other body styles. It could be paired with the Two-Tone Paint option or available separately. In either Black or White, if separate or with a black or white top on two-tone cars.

Only on Newports? The configuration of the side chrome trim was conducive to the Color Sweep. Seems that some Newports had a separate end piece of Chrome to end the color sweep's area at the rear? Was this only on non-Town Sedans or others with the f/r bumper reveal moldings? I don't recall, but remember seeing some that way. Might need to get into the '66 Chrysler Parts Book for more research?

Happy Holidays!
CBODY67
What a great resource! I will do some more reading and see what else I can discover.

thanks for your reply.

Happy Holidays!
CBODY67
The end piece of chrome was for the Newports not optioned with bumper reveal moldings.

IMG_0525.jpg

Here's my unrestored 66 T&C which shows the contrasting "swoop" area, and the rarely ordered contrasting roof paint that was also available.

In 65, the roof area could also be done with black vinyl, and although the parts catalogues show that vinyl was available for 66 models for both the roof AND the swoop area, I don't think I've ever seen a 66 wagon with vinyl installed that way, and I have heard that the option was never actually offered at dealerships. Parts books preceded sales options to permit servicing by dealerships hence the listing in the catalogue.

pass front 3_4.jpg

pass rear 3_4.jpg

So on 1966 Chrysler models, there was the "color swoop" option, also described in the dealer brochure as "double-tracked aluminum body side molding with optional paint insert." Was BLACK the only color for this, as I've only seen a couple of cars with this option, and both had the black swoop between the moldings.

Just curious mostly . . .

thanks!
My 66 T&C was the dark red metalic paint, (maroon?, Crimson?), with a woodgrain strip in the double tracked side moulding. Sorry, no pictures - long gone with the first repaint 40 years ago.

There was an overlay available. It is in the parts book. For example, tag number 23-24-329; part number 2605-947 is the rear most piece.

Back