1966 Chrysler Newport Instrument cluster

Mohawkmike

Reaction score
My tripometer is working off and on as well as the odometer, sometimes it gets stuck just when its about to change from 9 to 0 and when I reset it, it works for a while then stops, my speedometer is working fine and no funny noises. How much of a job is it to pull the cluster out to replace the gears?

30428604-1966-chrysler-newport-std.jpg

The speedo cables turns the rear speed cup on the speedometer, which is connected via some small gears to the basic odometer. Then the trip odometer runs off of the main odometer, as I recall. So, if the odometer is working at all and the speedometer needle is steady, with no noises, you probably just need to clean and lube the odometer drums.

The speedometer gears that everybody sells usually are the ones in the transmission tailshaft housing. Not the ones in the speedometer head.

Seems like our '66 Newport had something of this same issue, years ago. The trip odometer would hang, which would cause the speedometer needle to go down a bit before it clicked, when it would jump, and then return to normal. Seems like this issue kind of fixed itself, though.

Might check the FSM for removal procedures, which probably include some disassembly and such.

Just some thoughts and recollections,
CBODY67

I have removed my cluster to fix the odometer that quit 3 years ago (one gear decided to slide on its shaft, disengaging itself from the other gear). The instructions are indeed in the service manual. Basically one needs to remove the cover under the steering column, the chrome trim in front of the cluster, the cover above the steering column, and few other things too (I remember loosening the steering column as well). Then one needs to disconnect everything on the back of the cluster, without breaking the little pins of the main board that connect to a rather big connector. Removing the ignition switch is also required as far as I recall. Then, once every retaining screw is removed, the speedo needs to be turned clockwise or counterclockwise so it can be extracted from under the dash (can't remember !), and pay attention not to scratch the face of the cluster on the rough edges of the dash. Your fingers might suffer a bit too. Got few scratches on mine, the edges on my dash were pretty rough.

I hope this helps !

SpeedoRemoval1.jpg
SpeedoRemoval2.jpg

I have removed my cluster to fix the odometer that quit 3 years ago (one gear decided to slide on its shaft, disengaging itself from the other gear). The instructions are indeed in the service manual. Basically one needs to remove the cover under the steering column, the chrome trim in front of the cluster, the cover above the steering column, and few other things too (I remember loosening the steering column as well). Then one needs to disconnect everything on the back of the cluster, without breaking the little pins of the main board that connect to a rather big connector. Removing the ignition switch is also required as far as I recall. Then, once every retaining screw is removed, the speedo needs to be turned clockwise or counterclockwise so it can be extracted from under the dash (can't remember !), and pay attention not to scratch the face of the cluster on the rough edges of the dash. Your fingers might suffer a bit too. Got few scratches on mine, the edges on my dash were pretty rough.

I hope this helps ! Thank you very helpful

Looks like I will need to unhook the speedometer cable and plug in before removing the cluster?

Indeed, you have to unhook everything before removing it, since the removal of the cluster requires to rotate it, and there is no room for that action if cables and wires are hooked on it.

Indeed, you have to unhook everything before removing it, since the removal of the cluster requires to rotate it, and there is no room for that action if cables and wires are hooked on it.
Can I just take the speedometer part out and leave the housing for the amp gauge, shift indicator, and gas gauge in place?

Unfortunately, you cannot. To get access to the speedometer, you need to dismantle the whole cluster.
Some pictures below (found on eBay).

The pot metal housing (emptied):

Cluster-rear.jpg

The front "lens":

Cluster-Front.jpg

How it looks like from the back, with the board and the flimsy pins (one broke off on mine...):

Cluster-back.jpg

I may just leave it alone my speedometer works fine. Thanks for your help

Back