1966 chrysler newport positive battery cable length-gauge?

Reaction score
Anybody know what length and gauge my positive battery cable should be? I came up with 48 inches, not sure of gauge . Thanks

#4 AWG will get it. I say, customize and use #2 welders cable, which has finer gauge strands, thus, greater surface area, hence, conductance. I have two such cables, one for a '66, the other a '68. If you REALLY need the data, I can go to my shed and measure them for ya. If you can make it work at 4', the better for you. Remember: at low voltages, resistivity piles up quickly with length!

Thanks for info, I have some cables left from another project, but the gauges were all different, should have 1 of those, as far as the length, the factory routing takes the long way to the starter and relay, if I can shorten it, I'll give it a shot

Thanks for info, I have some cables left from another project, but the gauges were all different, should have 1 of those, as far as the length, the factory routing takes the long way to the starter and relay, if I can shorten it, I'll give it a shot

Knowing something of the '66 Newport myself, you'll not have MUCH opportunity for shortening your starter power run. Ma Par put that shallow groove in the top of the fender with side holes for straps with optimal path in mind. Big conductors also require good protection. That shallow raceway for the starter cable (power and solenoid) optimizes the path well; stick to it. I KNOW that welders fine stranded wire runs high $, but part of that is extremely tough insulation. If you must purchase new conductor, that be the Stuff .

That's what I figured, there's a pathway for the cable to run along fenderwell, then drop down to starter. Got all my parts lined up, now I just need a nice day. Rain for 5 days here in jersey

Back