1966 Chrysler rear seat install advice?

I've seen the same issue and put it down to supplier differences.

The package tray on my green 66 had two holes for the top end of the shield, one more inboard than the other by a very slight amount, and using the inboard holes solved that issue.

I've seen the same issue and put it down to supplier differences.

The package tray on my green 66 had two holes for the top end of the shield, one more inboard than the other by a very slight amount, and using the inboard holes solved that issue.
Thanks Ross! This confirms what I was just thinking. It occurred to me after my previous post that the problem may be that I was trying to force the screw holes to line-up. The package tray and side shields were from different cars and I'm trying to fit them into a third one. I wouldn't be surprised if, on the assembly line, there were only holes in the side shields and they used the screws to drill holes into the package tray however they wound-up aligning.

I just went out to the garage and removed the screws from the side shield tops they sit nice and flat against the package tray, although now the unsightly gap between the side shield and the headliner covering the C-pillars is even larger now. I would think that something's still not lined-up right or I'm missing another trim piece, but I didn't see anything in the FSM.

DSCN3311_crop.jpg

It appears the donor car had the same gap. It seems to me as though this seat design was under-engineered and/or they didn't handle the transition from the 1965-style seats to the 1966+ seats very well. I think I may fabricate something to fill this gap.

IMG_0794_crop.jpg
IMG_0792_crop.jpg

There's chrome trim that goes there... a big piece that wraps over the edge...

See the pic in this thread:

WANTED - Wanted to buy: A 1966 Sport Fury package tray.
Oh, they were missing from the parts car, since I took those pictures before tearing anything apart, otherwise I would've grabbed them. My car did not have trim there with original back seat because the flat fiberboard package tray went right to the edge of the headliner and was high enough to cover the unfinished edge of the headliner.

I don't believe I got a pair of those chrome filler pieces back when I bought the bucket seat interior, so that's something else I'm looking for now! :(

Drag - Nigel may have them.
Perhaps. I'll have to look in the parts book to find the part numbers. Meanwhile, I may have found a plan-B. Joe gave me a box of misc chrome pieces after he sold his convertible. I thought I remembered seeing some that might be what I'm looking for. I found them. They're close to the correct shape but too long, and the angle is wrong at the front.
DSCN3315.JPG
DSCN3316.JPG

Perhaps these are the filler pieces for a 4-door hardtop? Looks like they might be, from the below pic I found online. The casting numbers on the back are 2573874 and 2573875. If I can't find the correct ones, I may be taking a hacksaw to these. They're not pitted, just dirty.

used-1966-chrysler-300-300sedan-12330-13583633-13-1024.jpg

4 door ones, and you'll regret cutting those up. Hold out to find the correct ones. Lots and lots of 2 door hard tops with those, so they've got to be out there. I believe they're the same for 65 and 66.

Looking in the parts book is no help by the way.

Last edited:
Thanks @Ross Wooldridge for a lead on the c-pillar chrome trim. As you said, the factory literature is completely useless for showing these parts or getting the part numbers! I looked through 1965 and 66 parts books and found nothing.

I wound-up getting a set of chrome trim pieces from eBay and they look pretty good. A bit of light pitting but the pair cost less than one NOS piece would have. If anyone else needs a set of these in the future, the casting numbers on the back are 2573792, 2573793. I found more hits on eBay searching those numbers.

I have the seat brackets welded in place now. I test-fitted the package tray, side shields seat and the chrome pieces.

DSCN3319.JPG

DSCN3320.JPG

DSCN3324.JPG

There are two screws to hold on each chrome piece. I don't feel any holes or dimples behind the headliner covering the C-pillars indicating exactly where to install the screws. I guess I just drill my own holes? I looked back at the pics I took of Ross' Monaco for reference and I think I see the trim attachment holes (circled in yellow) in one of his C-pillars.

cpillar_trim_front.jpg

cpillar_trim_rear.jpg

You should be to drill them if there are none in your car - I'd hold the pieces in place and try to carefully make marks on the inner surface with a very sharp awl, poking through headliner, then lift the headliner up to drill them to avoid catching it with drill bit. It could easily be pulled down if it gets wrapped up in the drill bit. You'll need to remove the rear window tim to lift the headliner.

The holes in my car have centering depressions so the screw tip gets directed to the hole as you can't see them through the headliner. This may make it a challenge during installation, but you'll have the holes in the headliner to help.

Last edited:
You should be to drill them if there are none in your car - I'd hold the pieces in place and try to carefully make marks on the inner surface with a very sharp awl, poking through headliner, then lift the headliner up to drill them to avoid catching it with drill bit. It could easily be pulled down if it gets wrapped up in the drill bit. You'll need to remove the rear window tim to lift the headliner.

The holes in my car have centering depressions so the screw tip gets directed to the hole as you can't see them through the headliner. This may make it a challenge during installation, but you'll have the holes in the headliner to help.
Being this far along in reassembly, I'm not keen on removing the window trim again to lift the headliner. I'm sure that the marks I made from aligning the trim against the C-pillars are close to the correct locations, and the trim will cover a large section of headliner once installed. I think I'll cut some small X marks in the headliner at the approximate screw locations, peel it back and look for dimples to indicate exactly where to drill. If I don't see any, I'll drill at the spots which I marked.

Be careful about slitting the headliner, as it's designed to be stretched. Slits may make it relax tension, resulting in wrinkles, and restretching it to flatten the wrinkles may result in the slits ripping farther, resulting in more wrinkles needing to be restretched resulting in more ripping resulting in...
:mad::BangHead:

Poke an awl through your marks, and if you feel metal, you're likely good to drill. Slowly to avoid gathering the fabric in the drill bit.

Mission successful on the interior chrome trim install!

I did the passenger-side first. I held the piece up to the headliner and marked the screw locations with a black sharpie. I tapped a centerpunch through the headliner, hoping to make some marks on the metal below. Then I cut little windows in the headliner, about 1/4" square, with an XActo knife. I looked around with a flashlight and awl to see if there were any factory dimples nearby indicating the exact hole locations. I didn't see any so perhaps my marks were right over them. I went ahead and drilled where I'd marked. Had to chuck the drill bit into my Dremel to make the rear hole because the head of my drill was too large to get into that space.

I did the same thing on the drivers side, but I didn't bother with the center-punch before cutting holes in the headliner. When I cut through the headliner, the holes were perfectly centered over small dimples in the sheetmetal indicating where to drill.

Back