1966 Cruise control

Yes, it was, though it's really rare to find it on a Newport in '66. It was not a real popular option on anything, but more often found on New Yorkers and the occasional loaded up Town & Country.

Like most high end options, it was most common on Imperials.

Jeff

Definitely not a no. It was available and called "Auto Pilot"and was fairly common. Not super common but I've seen a few. I parted out a 66 Newport with 383 and Auto Pilot years ago. Sold the complete Auto Pilot to a guy in Canada.

Look at the Sales Info at www.hamtramck-historical.com in the "Library" section for the 1966 cars. Also the Chrysler factory service manual and/or Chrysler MasterTech courses ('65 or '66) from www.mymopar.com. It was instrument panel mounted, unlike the normal turn signal stalk items which came later.

Enjoy!
CBODY67

I have it on my 66 Plymouth, so I would guess it was on the CHrysler. It has a little dial to turn to to set.

There is a section in my '66 Chrysler FSM on the cruise control unit and how it works, with pictures (inside and out). Might also be something similar in the Plymouth FSMs?

Just a thought,
CBODY67

They work identically, however, each has its own unique dash dial. I like to see the 65/66 Fury ones, as they're unusual.

Interestingly, in 65 the AP dash dial was supposed to line up horizontally and be spaced out evenly with the three other knobs on the dash - parking brake, headlights and wipers, and was placed closest to the column when so optioned, under the speedo. I assume that since the 65 and 66 dash shells were the same, that it was intended that the 66 dial placement was supposed to be the same. However, in 66 the trim around the speedo changes and interfered with AP dial placement, and the placement of every 66 Fury AP dial is slightly different - off line and lower. I believe they couldn't use the template or jig from 65 to drill the hole in the dash, and were given instructions to "make it fit as close as you can".

I've seen ones that were way off, and others that were as close as can be, butted right up against the trim.

Here are a couple of dash pics of 66 Furies with AP:

1966 VIP (owned by Murray Park)
This clearly shows that even though the dash dial is right up against the trim that tucks under the speedo, there's no way the dial can be kept in a horizontal line with the other knobs to the left (which is what they did in '65 AP equipped Furies). You can see that the spacing is the same between the knobs though.

Autopilot in dash 1.jpg

Autopilot in dash 2.jpg

Here is another 66 where it's evident that the assembly line guy did not keep the spacing even between the knobs, nor try to tuck the dial as close to the trim as possible.

Autopilot in 66 Fury.jpg

Again, AutoPilot in a 65 or 66 Fury is extremely rare. Rarer than a 4 speed equipped car I'd say, given that I've seen lots of 4 speed Furies and only 2 or 3 equipped with AP in 30 years of looking.

Last edited:
@Evan Jansen - can you please post some clear photos of the dash with the Autopilot dial.

Autopilot in a 65/66 Fury is extremely rare.
Russ, I will take some pictures this weekend and post, Someone along the way, disconnected it, and I haven't yet reconnected. I am having some work done on my speedometer, and when that is done, he offered to take a look at what would be needed.

@Evan Jansen - thanks!

It's very likely that the AP was disconnected for 2 reasons:

1) The dash dial needs repair due to the gear set inside stripping. I repair these dials (you can find my ad in the WPC Club newsletter), and I have a few customers here on FCBO as well who can vouch for me.

2) The underhood servo needs servicing - there are part inside that need a tuneup on a regular basis for the system to function properly, and if not addressed can render the system inoperative. I can do this as well.

The system has a "speed minder" or warning feature which presses back on the gas pedal quite firmly once the car is exceeding the preset speed. This occurs whether the system is on or off, and if the system fails when the speed is set too low, it's a pain to keep having to push the gas pedal through this resistance. Disconnecting the system and its throttle linkage and putting a regular trans to speedo cable in can bypass the system, effectively returning the car to smooth operation. I can help with all of this as well.

I look forward to seeing your dash pictures! See the pics in my post above...

Last edited:
They work identically, however, each has its own unique dash dial. I like to see the 65/66 Fury ones, as they're unusual.

Interestingly, in 65 the AP dash dial was supposed to line up horizontally and be spaced out evenly with the three other knobs on the dash - parking brake, headlights and wipers, and was placed closest to the column when so optioned, under the speedo. I assume that since the 65 and 66 dash shells were the same, that it was intended that the 66 dial placement was supposed to be the same. However, in 66 the trim around the speedo changes and interfered with AP dial placement, and the placement of every 66 Fury AP dial is slightly different - off line and lower. I believe they couldn't use the template or jig from 65 to drill the hole in the dash, and were given instructions to "make it fit as close as you can".

I've seen ones that were way off, and others that were as close as can be, butted right up against the trim.

Here are a couple of dash pics of 66 Furies with AP:

1966 VIP (owned by Murray Park)
This clearly shows that even though the dash dial is right up against the trim that tucks under the speedo, there's no way the dial can be kept in a horizontal line with the other knobs to the left (which is what they did in '65 AP equipped Furies). You can see that the spacing is the same between the knobs though.

View attachment 460727

View attachment 460728

Here is another 66 where it's evident that the assembly line guy did not keep the spacing even between the knobs, nor try to tuck the dial as close to the trim as possible.

View attachment 460729

Again, AutoPilot in a 65 or 66 Fury is extremely rare. Rarer than a 4 speed equipped car I'd say, given that I've seen lots of 4 speed Furies and only 2 or 3 equipped with AP in 30 years of looking.

Yep, that's what mine looks like., I will send the pictures over the weekend, mine is red also.

Pictures both under the hood and at the dash of the cruise control on my 1966 Plymouth Sports Fury..

Cruise Contorl Unit under hood.jpg

Dash Shot with Auto Pilot.jpg

AutoPilot dial -straton.jpg

AutoPilotStraighton.jpg

Awesome pics @Evan Jansen, thank you!

Can I ask you to take one shwing the dash dial from as straight on as possible, and as well, might you be able to measure how much lower the centre of the dial knob is from the horizontal line of the three other switches, and if the spacing between the dial and the other knobs has been maintained (it looks like it has).

Much appreciated.

Back