1966 Dodge Polara 489cui stroker header quest....

I used a Hughes torque converter behind the 440 in my 1970 Fury convertible. Acceleration and Performance have been excellent. Bigger Flex plate to torque converter bolts at 7/16" thread allow greater torque on the flex plate. I torqued mine at 40'lbs. Much less chance of a loose flex plate. Only down side is the larger bolt heads occasionally hit the torque converter access plate. Overall, I am satisfied with Hughes torque converter 24-25HD for street use. I have no race experience with it.
Yeah the problem is they never stall anywhere near rated Unless they are behind a 500c.i. torque monster which 90% of folks don't have. Like the 2500 you mentioned will only flash 18-1900rpm behind a healthy 440. That's very disappointing to most when they are thinking their buying a looser converter. Really hurts folks that want a idle that doesn't jump down 2-300rpm when placing it in gear

Yeah the problem is they never stall anywhere near rated Unless they are behind a 500c.i. torque monster which 90% of folks don't have. Like the 2500 you mentioned will only flash 18-1900rpm behind a healthy 440. That's very disappointing to most when they are thinking their buying a looser converter. Really hurts folks that want a idle that doesn't jump down 2-300rpm when placing it in gear
Like I say, I haven't had a problem, but I have no way to know at what rpm mine actually flashes.

What torque converter do you recommend and why? Thanks

Back