1966 Fury III - Unfinished Project

Cold weather has gone away, back to being in the 70's.
Took a look in the radiator and observed an unhappy volume of brown sludge, dried up after a week empty. Added some dishwasher soap, filled up with water and ran it unpressurized until it boiled.
VideoCapture_20240123-124659.jpg

Blorp. Drained and flushed repeatedly.
20240123_115917.jpg

Just water for now but that's a lot better. No leaks, so it'll get some antifreeze to prevent it going all rusty again.

Phil

Seems that cleaned it out too well.

All the coolant ran away.

Ordered a new freeze plug set. Really need to pull the engine; running the front brake hard line will be easier and I've got some welding to do so, I guess the old heave ho going to happen again.

Phil

I forget from when I pulled the engine last- it's probably easier to pull just the motor and leave the transmission in place on a C body?

Phil

As far as I have heard, it's a lot easier to do it by removing the grille, front bumper and the radiator yoke, and pulling the whole shebang (engine and trans) forward.

Last one I removed was in my '66 Fury. I removed the rad, fan and carb. I made a plate to bolt to the intake in place of the carb. The plate has a vertical plate welded to it which mounted directly to the "cherry picker" shop crane arm. No hook or chain used. I supported the manual trans, unbolted the engine mounts and bell housing at the block. The engine was lifted to clear the mounts, moved forward to clear the trans input and up/forward over the rad support. The hood remained in place. Evgine went back in the same way. I would do it this way again.
Hope this is helpful. Lindsay

Back