1966 Imperial Crown convertible

patrick66

Old Man with a Hat
Reaction score
This is my latest car, a 1966 Imperial Crown convertible coupe. One of just 514 built in '66, it is the rarest of the '64-'65-'66 year group. It has a 440, the first year of that engine. The build date is just seven days newer than my '66 Coronet 500 - both were built in the first week of September 1965 - different plants, obviously. It's also the same color as the Coronet, but with a white top versus the Coronet's black vinyl top.

The chrome on this car is in beautiful condition. The odo reads 25K and change. There are a few things that need to be attended to, but with a nearly 50-year-old luxury barge such as the Imperial, it's not too terribly unexpected.

More to come when I get it home!

attachment.php

:yourock:.................You are now officially a member of the "You suck" list

Now that you made the "you suck" list, be sure to drive with the top down and windows up...he likes that!

With the air conditioning on, of course! Won't have much choice until I get the power window issues sorted out.

It's all about timing, guys! I'm seriously very excited about this Imperial! This is my second Imperial (I had a '73 LeBaron 4-door in the early '90s).

Oooh, I just remembered that I have a 1966 Oklahoma license plate I can run as a YOM tag!

CONGRATULATIONS Once again Patrick! As I said in the other thread, I had a feeling they would get back to you! Love that color combo. Can't wait to see more pics! Awesome deal.
I also had a 73 years ago, that got me hooked on Imperials. Sold it to buy my first 67 back in 78. I just got my second 67 a month ago.
Enjoy and get us some more pics!

She's now in my driveway! Due to the iffy brakes, I had the car hauled home on a flatbed, roughly 50 miles or so. My wife is kinda ambivalent about it, which surprised me. I think she's pissed because I sold the '79 Dodge Street Van. She liked that van. But she has her New Yorker, so I'm good with the deal I made on the Imperial. Starts first turn of the key! Sounds like a '66 Imperial should, to me.

The top works as it should, as do the power seats, power mirror, and the power vent windows. Gauges all read like they're supposed to, and the very cool speedometer is on the money. Things I know do not work are the four windows, power antenna, radio, and the glove box light. There are a lot of additional used and NOS parts in the trunk I need to sort through.

The paint does not look as bad as I first thought. I had looked at the car very quickly last Saturday, and spotted one very small rust bubble under the paint. Turns out, that is the only real flaw I can find in the paint job, overall. It's quite smooth and very presentable.

A little more on how this came to be for sale - the guy who owned the car up to about eight months ago, bought the car in '05 from a guy in the St. Louis, MO area. The local guy got killed in a car crash then, and his son essentially inherited it. It was one of nearly a dozen cars that the son sold off from his Dad's collection, with the Mom keeping three of that collection. No real paperwork accompanied the car, other than the warranty info in the glovebox and the title/registration.

The car has a new battery, new dual exhaust, and new tires. I'm looking to have the car drivable to a car show next weekend in El Reno, OK, where they have a big show and a Route 66 cruise that Saturday, and on Sunday morning, part of Route 66 is closed off for real, no-****, open header, heads-up street racing!

I might have to find a '60s style business suit and a Fedora, and cruise in style, ala Mad Men or the Rat Pack!

Absolutely fantastic score, Patrick! What true C-body guy wouldn't love to have that car?
Congratulations on a beautiful and unique ride.
How's the A/C?.... LOL

Posted via Topify on Android

It's pretty amazing how these forums can change a persons' day. I'd been looking for a '75 - '77 Royal Monaco Brougham coupe in triple black. I found one on Victoria Island, BC that needed a LOT, and would've cost a lot to have shipped. So, I ended up looking at four-doors, a couple of other two-doors, and a couple of wagons. Only that very-much-overpriced white two-door in CT really tripped my trigger, but was very leery of it.

Then this convertible pops up. And hey, it's 45 minutes away and priced cheaply, compared to other '64 - '66 Imperial ragtops. The colors are the same as my Coronet, and they were built just eight days apart in different plants. Then, my van sells! I've got cash money to deal with. Damn, is Karma in my favor or what? And I was not looking for an Imperial at all. But when a reasonably-priced car shows up when it does, sometimes ya gotta jump. So I did!

Congrats Patrick! Idk how I missed it, but saw you mentioned you got an Imperial in another thread. Glad you scooped this one up! Look forward to more pics! Hopefully you get her up and running for the show!

Back