1966 monaco upper ball joint stuck

monaco

Reaction score
Can anybody tell me how to get an upper ball joint out of my 66 monaco? It's siezed right in there.
Thanks

272082518207_1.jpg
My tool of choice... A couple good whacks to the side of the knuckle where the BJ stud goes through usually knocks the interference fit of the stud loose. Make sure you follow FSM as to how to safely support the control arm/ unwind the torsion bar so you don't get a trip to the hospital.

What are you using to remove the ball joint? It takes a big sucker of a socket and an even bigger breaker bar.

What are you using to remove the ball joint? It takes a big sucker of a socket and an even bigger breaker bar.
I was going to use a pipe wrench and a long bar over the handle for leverage. I just thought there may be some kind of penetrating oil or something i could soak it with for a bit before i try again. i may get a socket for it. Friend of mine told me to soak it with diesel fuel or kerosene before trying again.Could be the original one lol.

Here is a pic of the socket, 1/2in drive, its a must to make easy work of it all. PST sells them and is a sponsor of this site, check the banners on the edge to the right for a link. Quoting you are from FCBO also gets you a discount.

s-l1600.jpg

Pipe wrench won't do it. You need the socket and breaker bar or good impact. Most likely a pipe for the breaker bar too.

Pipe wrench won't do it. You need the socket and breaker bar or good impact. Most likely a pipe for the breaker bar too.

John and I seem to almost always have the same answers.... I keep three lengths of black pipe in my garage, one is about 18" the 2nd is about 24" and a bit bigger in diameter ( for the 1/2" drive) and the third is about 66" long. The long one usually is used on front end stuff. Ive also applied heat in some instances where she just wont budge

That's what I was thinking. I took the ball joint and tried to size a socket but couldn't find a match. This is obviously a special item, where do I get one?

Sunex 10213 3/4" Dr. 1-59/64" Ball Joint Impact Socket

Use the 3/4" drive breaker bar sockets. 1/2" drive might actually shear off, unless you have the BEST quality tool. Get a 3/4" breaker bar. Hammers help too. So does heat. I'm waiting for the 115 Fahrenheit weather to break before I get back on my front end rebuild. I'm tough, but 110 F + just wears me out.

Here is a pic of the socket, 1/2in drive, its a must to make easy work of it all. PST sells them and is a sponsor of this site, check the banners on the edge to the right for a link. Quoting you are from FCBO also gets you a discount.

View attachment 81339
They don't sell them for the monaco just a body

it will be 3/4" drive. you will need an adapter to bring it back to 1/2" drive

Back