1966 Newport brake light

66 newport

Reaction score
Hello all, I’ve got a 1966 Chrysler Newport and one of my brake lights is out, I’ve been trying to figure out how to get the bulb out of the socket but it doesn’t seem to budge. I took all the bolts out and removed the whole housing out of the car but then I realized that didn’t do much for me except reveal all these screws on the inside that seem to be covered up by some trim. I haven’t had to change any of the brake lights yet and I don’t see any videos on it so thought I’d see what the pro’s have to say. Images attached

IMG_9070.jpeg

IMG_9071.jpeg

IMG_9072.jpeg

IMG_9073.jpeg

image.jpg

Lamp socket is usually a twist lock. Try turning the socket counter clockwise to unlock. If that does not work, push the socket to oneside or the other to sislodge it as it is probably the spring retention type.

Dave

Lamp socket is usually a twist lock. Try turning the socket counter clockwise to unlock. If that does not work, push the socket to oneside or the other to sislodge it as it is probably the spring retention type.

Dave
Okay, it looks like it might be the spring retention type because when I look close it seems like the groove in the metal does not want to twist and should just pull right on out I couldn’t send a zoomed in picture for some reason but zoom in on the socket in the last picture

Just pull the socket straight out right? No twisting? Should I try and pry one side out with a flat head?
You could go around the lamp socket with a flat head screwdriver. Keep in mind that there’s 50+ years of dirt and grime and possibly rust holding that socket in.

That socket will just pull straight out, no twisting.

Here's what the hole looks like on a '66 tail light. Note the tab. You'll have to line the socket up with that when you reassemble it.

1714770916143.png

Seems like I had better luck by, rather than twisting and pulling straight out, trying to "bend" the sock out by rotating the wire end to one side, easily, until it came out partially and then fully? That way, not trying to compress all of the spring retainers at once. Just some of them.

Now, as you have the complete lamp unit out, you might also consider removing the lens and cleaning the reflector areas. At one bottom end of the lens, should be a small cut-out for the "filter". That filter allows condensate to evaporate or drain, but also minimizes any dust intrusion. If it is not there, it reminded me of a cigarette filter tip. If not done now, put it on next winter's to do list. You might be surprised at how dusty things are in there, plus how that dust can decrease the reflection of the light rearward. Plus clean the inside of the lens.

In removing the light bulb from the socket, might need to lightly push inward before you twist ccw and pull the bulb out. BEST to use a shop towel to hold the bulb with!

Enjoy!
CBODY67

Back