1967 Imperial Was Not a Chrysler

That is a nice car.
5DEC3C9A-B302-490C-84D6-D96BC70D30ED.jpeg

It seems that every so often, the marketing operatatives seek to distance their premium cars from the lesser cars. The Imperials have usually had some unique items on them that other Chryslers did not have, expecially in the motor mount area. Even if the donor platform was a normal Chrysler. How close were the '57-'66 Imperials (in frame design and components) to the Chryslers of that earlier era? In the Pre-UniBody era. Still, everybody knew who made them, for better or for worse.

To the casual observer, those '67-'68 Imperials showed "too much C-body" to be a real Imperial . . . UNTIL you put them on a lift and saw the significantly different front stub frame and related suspenion/engine isolation items.

On the inside, it's easy to see the DNA of the instrument panel's basic design. But with enough additional things which make it "Imperial Only". Plus the related trimmings for a more luxury/upscale appearance.

To me, one of the downfalls of the Panther Platform Lincolns was an instrument panel design that was blatantly common to Lincolns, Mercurys, and Ford Crown Victorias. No matter the different trims, it was the same instrument panel and many switches. Unlike the Pre-Panther Lincolns where there seemed to be more differentiation among the carlines. But then, IF you might be concerned about these things AND verify them, THEN you kind of key on them and it's all very clear.

Enjoy!
CBODY67

Sexy beast! I've seen a few of these cars up close over the years but never noticed wood trim on the exterior door handles and above the rear speaker. Was this factory or did the owner add it himself?

Sexy beast! I've seen a few of these cars up close over the years but never noticed wood trim on the exterior door handles and above the rear speaker. Was this factory or did the owner add it himself?
The wood trim on the outside door handles is a faux finished piece of metal trim.

As in "station wagon woodgrain" applied to a section of the door handle?

Just curious,
CBODY67

As in "station wagon woodgrain" applied to a section of the door handle?

Just curious,
CBODY67
I’ve got a pair of NOS I’ll dig out later to show you.

I had to remind myself that they were in fact decals. The ones on my silver car are still in tact even with 160k miles, are they original? I don’t know But it seems like it. On the Director and on some of the used originals I have the decal is missing or worn off the visible side(top) but is still there on the side facing the door while several others the decal is missing all together.

15E7CD45-766C-4D52-96F1-AB1E5CC5F2C9.jpeg

D7585527-0869-401A-9DD7-278843226CA4.jpeg

82063CE1-CE78-4D7C-A321-B9B9E82F4114.jpeg

I always enjoy the videos by Adam On YouTube. He is very thorough and knowledgeable. He did a series of interviews with Bob Lutz that I enjoyed. he seems to own quite a few full size cars from the 60s and 70s, all in pristine condition.

Thanks Matt, hope those NOS door handles make it on that newly painted Imperial.

It seems that every so often, the marketing operatatives seek to distance their premium cars from the lesser cars. The Imperials have usually had some unique items on them that other Chryslers did not have, expecially in the motor mount area. Even if the donor platform was a normal Chrysler. How close were the '57-'66 Imperials (in frame design and components) to the Chryslers of that earlier era? In the Pre-UniBody era. Still, everybody knew who made them, for better or for worse.

To the casual observer, those '67-'68 Imperials showed "too much C-body" to be a real Imperial . . . UNTIL you put them on a lift and saw the significantly different front stub frame and related suspenion/engine isolation items.

On the inside, it's easy to see the DNA of the instrument panel's basic design. But with enough additional things which make it "Imperial Only". Plus the related trimmings for a more luxury/upscale appearance.

To me, one of the downfalls of the Panther Platform Lincolns was an instrument panel design that was blatantly common to Lincolns, Mercurys, and Ford Crown Victorias. No matter the different trims, it was the same instrument panel and many switches. Unlike the Pre-Panther Lincolns where there seemed to be more differentiation among the carlines. But then, IF you might be concerned about these things AND verify them, THEN you kind of key on them and it's all very clear.

Enjoy!
CBODY67

Having owned six Panther cars (two Crown Vics, two GM, one each Colony Park and Country Squire wagons; all 1985 - 1991), I can tell you the Ford and Mercury clusters are most definitely different, and they are different again from the TownCar. The bezels and fascias are different, too.

They really cheaped out on the 68's with these little details. I'd assume trying to replicate something with bronze for my car would look like crap after a couple years in the elements.
Cheaped out? They went from the woodgrain to brushed stainless inserts on the 68. I think they look great in contrast to the chrome.

Back